Resources on requests

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Courtney

Resources on requests

Post by Courtney »

I am writing an article for a request that states they want all resources at the end of the article. I know CC doesn't accept website addresses/sources in articles. Will they if the requester asks for it? I'm worried it will get rejected as I know if this requester doesn't take it, the article will just wind up in the pool where there aren't supposed to be sources in the articles. How does this work?
LMills

Re: Resources on requests

Post by LMills »

Hi Courtney,

It is fine to list sources at the end of an article. I do it, frequently, for health-related articles. Just don't list live links. Omit http and www.

Linda
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

Thanks for the info Linda. Good information to know. They just don't want something that will directly link to the page.

One more question. Do I have to put the whole website address or can I just put the main site? As example, can I put just livestrong.com or do I have to put the whole address like livestrong.com/article/1234?
LMills

Post by LMills »

Hi Courtney,

I often just list the main site, rather than the specific page, but either one is fine. Most of my research comes from books, journals and other print sources which I do list in the traditional manner (title, author, date, publisher). One other point, I never list my sources in the article sample available for public view. I just state at the bottom that *sources provided*.

Linda
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

Great Linda! I'll remember this! Thanks for your help! :D
FondRegards

Post by FondRegards »

LMills wrote:Hi Courtney,

I often just list the main site, rather than the specific page, but either one is fine. Most of my research comes from books, journals and other print sources which I do list in the traditional manner (title, author, date, publisher). One other point, I never list my sources in the article sample available for public view. I just state at the bottom that *sources provided*.

Linda
Linda, thanks for the helpful information. For an inline citation, within the article text, example, "In (name of book or journal), (author's name) says," followed by a quote: does that suffice, or is it a good idea to list it at the end too?

And another question: I sometimes briefly mention a study in the article text, where I may not give dates and other specifics. Do customers want a source list with more details?
Thank you
LMills

Post by LMills »

If I use source quotes within my article text, I also list the full source at the end, since I often build a portion of my article around that person's book or research publication. When referring to a study, I will list the source of that study, if I use the information extensively. If it is just a brief reference, I may not list it, since I have given credit already within the text.

In general, it never hurts to list any and all sources. The customer who purchases your article always has the option of including them.

Hope this helps,
Linda
FondRegards

Post by FondRegards »

Thanks. :)