Bylines with Pen Names

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

VersantScribe

Bylines with Pen Names

Post by VersantScribe »

I was wondering how many out there put bylines on their articles if they used a Pen name that isn't a "name." On CC I go by VS, and I was wondering if it was worth putting a byline in when that's what I use for ghostwriting content.

I do see the benefit of having a byline in a document so the customers learn to recognize you here. I was wondering if a pen name like mine would look weird on articles that are bought for usage rights.

Any thoughts on this?
BarryDavidson

Re: Bylines with Pen Names

Post by BarryDavidson »

The byline question is completely up to you. The only CC stipulation is that it be the same name as you use on CC.

Technically speaking, if you become known as an expert in whatever types of articles you write, having a byline (even if it's just VS) would be like brand recognition.
VersantScribe

Post by VersantScribe »

I noticed that Word Gypsy has her CC name, but puts a real name byline in her articles and bio. Is this common? I'm considering doing something like that but am not sure if it's possible for those that aren't Hall of Famers yet. ;)

I don't want to confuse buyers, but it would be nice to have my name on things that aren't sold for full rights. I'm just trying to sort out my plan of action here on CC.
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

Only way to know how the pudding tastes is to eat it. Myself, I changed the pen name in my profile and added it to my articles. I will know soon enough when the reviewers return my articles.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

I use my real name for the bylines here. When I write for revenue share or on my blog I use JadeDragon.
VersantScribe

Post by VersantScribe »

Ok, so I wrote out my bio with my real name and decided to put my name inside the articles themselves. I figure that I'm proud of what I write here and anywhere it ends up with my name on it is just more of a testament to my versatility as a writer.

I had 5 articles approved over the last few days. I deleted them to resubmit and I added a note to the editor explaining that they'd already been CC approved but were being resubmitted with a proper byline. Hopefully they don't hate me for that! I just want to make sure I'm consistent with all my pieces.

Thank you for your feedback!
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

Kinsey Moberg, I presume?
VersantScribe

Post by VersantScribe »

That would be me! LOL
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

In that case, you don't need a pen name. Your own name is very marketable. It is unique and it has a nice ring to it. Rhymes with Goldberg?
VersantScribe

Post by VersantScribe »

Awe, thanks for the compliment! Kinsey is becoming a more and more popular name as I get older. Not as unique anymore, but most people in the US don't spell it like I do so I think I'm still good. Lately it's usually MacKenzie or Kensey, and is now seen as one of those unisex names. I know I'm biased, but I like my way best. ;)
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

There's an added bonus to using either your real name or a pen name with a recognizable picture (a very successful author here does the later). You can claim the work on a resume! One of the reasons I kept up my writing even when my husband and I didn't need the income is because I left the workforce to be home with my children. My youngest is nearly 2 (countdown to two days of preschool a week is on!). In three years, she will be in school. We have no plans to add any more to the family.

So my resume could look like this:

Alcoa, Quality Technician, 2005-2006 with nothing after it

OR

Sole Proprietor, E.A.West Writing Services, 2007-present
Quality Technician, Alcoa, 2005-2006

If I was to do a detailed resume, I could say

Sole Proprietor, E.A.West Writing Services, 2007-present
Wrote non-fiction articles for primarily web based publication on a variety of topics including technology, fashion, real estate, education, and business. Maintained and reconciled all business accounts and tax responsibilities. Extensive experience in listening to client needs and delivering approved work within the tightest of deadlines. Long term clients included a boutique advertising agency, various web developers, and a wholesale merchandiser.

For proof, I can link to my profile here that shows my sales and articles written ratio, as well as my work posted in other places. While I can't take credit for the ghost written work, I can say that I have sold X number of articles for full rights. And no one would ever really know that I also raised a toddler, spent most of the days in pajamas, and took as much vacation time as I wanted. ;)