My First Private Request

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

MelissaNott

My First Private Request

Post by MelissaNott »

Hi All,
A customer emailed me about taking on some privately requested work. So excited! Will the private requests come to me in the same template form as public requests? Also, the customer asked how much I will charge. It sounds like the ad copy he/she is looking for is short--little blurbs--so I said CC has a $7/article minimum and I was willing to stick with that. Is this right? Or can a requester seeking short copy blurbs lump several blurb requests together for a larger/smaller price?
Thanks for any info . . .
Celeste Stewart

Re: My First Private Request

Post by Celeste Stewart »

For short blurbs, it's usually better to group them rather than upload individually. Imagine uploading 100 tweets individually - what a hassle for you, for the editors, and for the customer. So, if you think it makes sense to price a blurb less than the minimum, you could do something like $x per blurb in batches of 10 for a total of $xx per batch.
MelissaNott

Post by MelissaNott »

Thank you, Celeste. I wrote the customer again and proposed .04/word. Hopefully that is a decent-sounding price (better than $7 per 100 words, anyway). Now I guess I just wait to be notified/requested . . .
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Isn't .04/word = $4 for 100 words?
MelissaNott

Post by MelissaNott »

Yes . . . (?) Is that too high or two low? I'm still new at this. :shock:
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

That's up to you. I was just reacting to the phrase "decent-sounding price (better than $7 per 100 words, anyway)" I guess you meant better-sounding to the customer, not to you. I guess you will need to put several 100-word blurbs in one article to meet CC's $7 minimum pricing.
MelissaNott

Post by MelissaNott »

You're right, Debbi, I was looking at it from the customer's point of view. When I thought about it, it seemed very pricey to charge $7 for just a few sentences, so I changed it to .04/word. Anyway, I pitched my price and haven't heard back again, so I don't know what the customer is thinking.