What to do when customer removes byline?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

tcring

What to do when customer removes byline?

Post by tcring »

Hi all,

I just noticed that a recent usage rights customer has removed the byline (replacing it with 'Anonymous') from my article. How do I go about reporting this?
eek

Re: What to do when customer removes byline?

Post by eek »

Try contacting Support and ask if they will intervene for you.
That's really odd that the customer would take the trouble to remove your byline just to say "anonymous." Did you include your byline in the document?
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Was your byline right below the title in the document? Secondly, it is possible that the article you found is actually a stolen version (from CC or the actual buyer's site). It's nice to see your name in print but likely not worth chasing a single byline for an article you got paid for already.
tcring

Post by tcring »

Thanks for your responses! Yes, I included the byline right below the title. From what I understand, usage rights do not allow the customer to remove the byline.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

tcring wrote:Thanks for your responses! Yes, I included the byline right below the title. From what I understand, usage rights do not allow the customer to remove the byline.
True, but I'm sure it happens. I would not sweat it - just write more.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Hmmm, I have to disagree with jadedragon there--since the buyer is essentially getting full rights but has only paid for usage, in my opinion it's worth reporting to Support and possibly contacting the buyer yourself (in a polite way of course). Otherwise, what's the point of selling at a reduced price for usage?
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Let support handle it, but don't contact the buyer directly, no matter how politely, because that's against the terms of service here.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Antonia wrote:Hmmm, I have to disagree with jadedragon there--since the buyer is essentially getting full rights but has only paid for usage, in my opinion it's worth reporting to Support and possibly contacting the buyer yourself (in a polite way of course). Otherwise, what's the point of selling at a reduced price for usage?
Full Rights allows them to change the article including the byline but most importantly it gives them exclusive rights. Since you sold for usage only you can sell more usage rights and even use it yourself elsewhere without any worries. That is more valuable then the byline IMO.
4rumid

Post by 4rumid »

jadedragon wrote:
Antonia wrote:Hmmm, I have to disagree with jadedragon there--since the buyer is essentially getting full rights but has only paid for usage, in my opinion it's worth reporting to Support and possibly contacting the buyer yourself (in a polite way of course). Otherwise, what's the point of selling at a reduced price for usage?
Full Rights allows them to change the article including the byline but most importantly it gives them exclusive rights. Since you sold for usage only you can sell more usage rights and even use it yourself elsewhere without any worries. That is more valuable then the byline IMO.
Why does it have to be either/or? I have to agree with Antonia. The buyer paid for usage and is getting the benefit of full rights. They may not even realize they're doing something wrong, but writers deserve to be paid for what the buyers are getting. The fact that tcring can still sell the article isn't the point (especially because some buyers don't want to buy content that has been used elsewhere).
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Celeste, I didn't realize it was against the terms of service to contact the buyer in a case like this--thanks for pointing that out.
Peter Dylan

Post by Peter Dylan »

It happened to me and CC Customer Support contacted the buyer and had them add my byline back to the article. It was handled quickly and professionally.

Pete