A lot of hits but no sales

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

lgonzalez12811

A lot of hits but no sales

Post by lgonzalez12811 »

A client requested a 1st person POV article which i submitted. The client did not buy it so it was sent to the article pool. I've had 19 hits on this article but no sale. I believe it's because of the POV. My question is: Can I remove this article, tweek it so it can be used elsewhere and then submit again? If so, should I change the title so that I can bring back the clients or leave the title the same?
Lysis

Re: A lot of hits but no sales

Post by Lysis »

Yeah, you can, but just so you know some articles do get lots of hits first. I have one that sold after 170 hits. If it happens to sit on the first page, you'll probably get a few dozen hits from other writers just browsing the front page. (I'm guilty of that. :D )
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Also, hits can come from other authors looking at your work. I think my highest was 171 before a sale, but I haven't checked my stats lately.
lgonzalez12811

Post by lgonzalez12811 »

Thank you Lysis and Debbi for that information. I thought I was missing the train somehow. I'm concerned though that the POV is affecting the sale. If I change it then it might appeal to a wider audience. I'm torn on what to do. I'm my own worst enemy.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

If it is in and accepted just leave it be. Think of the article as produced, shipped, approved and sitting on the store shelf. Just because some people glance at it but are not interested does not mean it will not sell to the right buyer.

Spend your time writing another article.

Also, if you look at the article it counts as a hit too.
CGillingwater

Post by CGillingwater »

I'm probably going to get laughed at, but how do you check how many hits your articles each have? I have been browsing around for a few minutes trying to figure it out, but I can't seem to figure out where to go to do it.
SallyA

Post by SallyA »

In the My Content section, there should be a list of all of your articles along with how many hits they have received and how many times they have sold.
CGillingwater

Post by CGillingwater »

ecdoran

Post by ecdoran »

This is really reassuring. I have some articles that have gotten a "lot" of hits (in the 30s) and I've started obsessing about the sale prices, thinking they were much too high. I base the prices off of the cc guidelines because, to be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing :) I've started re=pricing things to see if they sell that way, but it's nice to think about it as already finished and done with. I should stop lowering prices and changing things. You guys are awesome :)
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Yeah, I agree--don't worry too much about the hits. I used to track my hits and try and figure out the magic number and predict my next sales, but there just doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern. For example, I have a bunch of valentine's day arties that I submitted recently and several of them got 70-80 hits within a few days. Whoaa! They haven't sold, though--and other articles with arcane topics sell after only a few hits within hours. My thinking now is that it's more sensible to be internally consistent so that you charge around the same amount depending on your time, effort and the wordcount. This way you never suffer through seller's remorse. :)