Pricing for public request articles

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

4rumid

Pricing for public request articles

Post by 4rumid »

Hi,

I just sold an article for a public request. The buyer had indicated he wanted to pay $10 - $20 per article, so I charged $20 because the article was rather long and thorough. But I'm noticing that some articles that have just been bought for the same request are selling for $25 and even $30. I assumed that buyers indicate the max they want to pay, so I didn't want to exceed that. How do people generally approach pricing for requests? Do you usually take what the buyers indicate as a general guideline or as set in stone?

I just realized I sold my article for a mere 1 cent per word, so I think I made a mistake!!
Debbi

Re: Pricing for public request articles

Post by Debbi »

I used to do what you did and stick rigidly to what the buyer said in their request and just like you, I noticed that some authors were getting more for their articles from the same buyer. So I tried upping my price and the buyer bought it anyway. You can always ask for a higher price and then check the "best offer" box and if they REALLY don't want to pay the extra $5 or $10, maybe they'll make an offer. So far I've noticed that if it's not extravagant, they just go ahead and pay what you're asking. I think what they're indicatig as their price is often their "preferred" price and not an ultimatum. Of course, it is always a gamble, as all pricing strategies are.

And I'm not sure if buyers know we don't get the full amount they're paying.....

Antonia, I learned about pricing from observing you in that Top Ten request :)

Debbi
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

A good clue is when they buy articles at a higher price but still put a cheap budget in the request. Several recent buyers have done this.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

And don't forget that the $10-$20 range is the DEFAULT range when the customer fills out a request. That price range is pre-filled in for the customers! When I see a $20-$30 or some other range, then I know the customer has given the price some thought. When I see $10-$20, I assume the customer didn't pay full attention and may be willing to pay more (unless otherwise stated in the description).
4rumid

Post by 4rumid »

Thanks for the input.

Debbi, pricing higher and checking "best offer" sounds like a good idea in this situation (though otherwise I don't think I'd use the best offer option). Interesting point about buyers not knowing we only get a percentage of what they pay. I wonder if it would make a difference if they knew.

Lysis, yes, once you see what the buyer's doing you can price accordingly. The problem is you don't necessarily know what they're going to do until after you've submitted your article. In this case, they bought the article so quickly, I didn't yet realize they were willing to pay more than the indicated budget. I'm really happy the article sold -- I'm still quite new, so it's only my 2nd! -- but I can't believe I sold a 1200-word article for $20 ($13 net). Fortunately, it was a fun one to write, so I don't mind so much.
4rumid

Post by 4rumid »

Celeste -- I didn't know that! I'll have to keep that in mind too.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

> but I can't believe I sold a 1200-word article for $20 ($13 net)

LOL I can. It's odd in the writing world. Programmers know our worth and we price accordingly. I find so many writers undervalue their work and are afraid to ask for their value. I don't understand the attitude of working for whatever someone will give you. It's strange to me, but I see it all the time in the writing world.

Charge what you think your time is worth. Leave a window open for negotiation, because I don't see a problem with negotiation of fees, but be reasonable. One thing I love about CC is that it really doesn't matter if the buyer purchases the article. Someone else will come along.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Also, there were 3 buyers who bought articles the next or same day as posting the request and the articles they bought were higher than the budget. It helps to be a chronic refresher of the recently sold list.
4rumid

Post by 4rumid »

Lysis wrote:Also, there were 3 buyers who bought articles the next or same day as posting the request and the articles they bought were higher than the budget.
Not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you mean 3 separate buyers who posted requests who all bought for higher than their budgets?
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I find so many writers undervalue their work and are afraid to ask for their value
Which takes us back to October's "Get out of a pricing rut" challenge. . . To anyone concerned about pricing, go back and review that challenge in the Author's Exchange section. We all have a say in what we charge. Customers can take or leave it, but ultimately, if we underprice our work, we can't complain when a customer comes along and snaps up the bargain (we can kick ourselves, but we are the ones who set the price). Not saying 4Rumid is complaining because I don't think that's the case here, just reminding everyone that we are in charge of pricing our work.
JD

Post by JD »

Absolutely right, Celeste!

I wrote to this request and I priced my article higher than the price stated by the customer because of the word count - just under 900 (I had a problem with letting this go for $20 given the word count even though no research was needed). I can't remember if I checked the 'best offer' box but if I did the customer didn't bother with it and just bought it.

I did the same thing with another buyer - in fact, I increased the price after the 3-day review period, when I thought the buyer wasn't interested. However, he emailed me (no 'best offer' box checked) and made it quite clear that he couldn't go over his budget of $20 but would buy a lot (and he seems to be true to his word). I wasn't chancing an increase in the price here, I thought he was out of the game (or I was!), but at least I now know that his budget is set in stone

If you feel that your article is worth more than what the buyer states he wants to pay, you can always chance your arm (and check the best offer if you want). Also, if you recognize the name of the buyer and know that he's bought your content before - and for reasonable prices - then you might feel a little more confident in setting a price higher than that stated.

Jane
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Hey Debbi,
I remember that Top Ten week...too fun! And he's the quiz guy, too, isn't he? I just sold 3 quizzes to him for $30 each (the request stipulated $20) so I do encourage others to price your quizzes at what you think is fair for the time you spent. It felt AMAZING to check back only an hour after submitting and find he'd picked up all of them at my asking price! I am writing some more right now...don't know how many he still wants...I notice a lot of people are finding success with this request, so I am psyched for all of us!

4rumid, don't feel too bad about letting that article go...it will all even out over time. Sometimes when I feel an article sold for too little, I go back to it and do a few rewrites--it takes me less time to rewrite than to start from scratch, so if the new articles sell then I average a higher per-hour rate. Of course you have to make sure each one is still original and fresh, but that's a fun challenge in itself.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Antonia,

Yep, same person. I've sold 5 quizzes so far (jumped on it the minute I saw that request!) and I might try some more. The buyer might have all the fact-based quizzes needed so I'm trying to think of personality quizzes. I did the Sociable one but am having a hard time coming up with others, which is kind of weird since my degree is in Psych. But "Are you a Sociopath?" doesn't seem quite right.... I wish the Recently Sold list went farther back so I could make sure I'm not duplicating anyone else's quiz.

I sold my first quiz for $23 and the last one for $30 with increasing prices in between. Just think if I'd been brave enough to ask $30 from the very start! Heh, I'd have an extra $13.80 in my pocket. Sometimes I am such a chicken.

If anyone wants to put their vote in for making buyers choose their price range instead of having a default, check out my post in the Suggestions forum.
ScottRC

Post by ScottRC »

Debbi, I think "Are You a Sociopath?" would be a great quiz. He did say the topics could be "anything" and some could be humorous.

I thought about jumping on this but was working on other things and didn't have any great ideas. Now I'm not doing it because I've seen so many have sold and I'm thinking he may have all he needs. Like you, I wish the "Recently Sold" list was longer. I think if we could access all recently sold content in the past three days - or even for just one entire day - that would be really useful.
lisake

Post by lisake »

Wish I'd read this thread before selling three quizzes for $20 each. :-)

Not complaining, though. My first three submissions were all accepted and quickly sold, so I'm delighted.

I love CC!

~Lisa