Another Question!

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

chessgolf

Another Question!

Post by chessgolf »

Is there only ONE editor at CC?

From what I've been reading on the forum and judging by the length of time it is taking to have my first article reviewed, it would appear so.

If there is only one Editor and he is also taking time to answer question and post comments on the forum, surely this is losing valuable revenue. With a speedier editorial process, more articles would be more readily available to prospective buyers.

If t hasn't already happened, is it not time for CC to take on some sub-editors to cope with demand?

JC
Lysis

Re: Another Question!

Post by Lysis »

Although the wait can be long for regular stuff, it's lightening fast for private and public requests. If you just write while your stuff is in the queue and keep writing, you get things turned over a couple days a week.
chessgolf

Post by chessgolf »

Understood Lysas!

Problem is I have submitted my limit of 3 articles.

I can certainly continue writing, but don't yet know whether my articles have been accepted or rejected.

I do appreciate the value of proper editing but ...

The point of my original question was that if there is only one editor who is also a regular on the forum, articles will take much longer in review.
Constant

Post by Constant »

We are working on making the process faster and faster over the coming weeks. Look for a more efficient system to take effect soon.
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

Constant wrote:We are working on making the process faster and faster over the coming weeks. Look for a more efficient system to take effect soon.
This is wonderful news, David. Lately, my articles have taken more than a week to get approved, but I can't really complain as I've used the waiting time to edit and proofread articles in my WIP folder. When Ed approves my articles in the queue, that's when I submit new articles. If he approves 3 of my articles, I submit 3 new articles. I think I like this method of having at least 10 articles under review at any given time because I can edit and proofread thoroughly those articles that I'm still working on, thus lowering the chances of an article getting rejected :D
JShade

Post by JShade »

Chessgolf : If you are not aware, once you have an article accepted you can then submit up to 6 articles in waiting. After you have six accepted you can have up to 10, after ten you can personally request a waiting list as big as you desire. I'm in the exact same boat, I've got my first three in and hoping to get one accepted so that I can then have a list of 6(got a couple more already ready). Of course this is assuming I didn't make any stupid mistakes in the first three, I have revised them several times and think they are correct but will not know until they come back. We all hope for a speedier process but the stringent writing requirements seems to be one reason they can charge so much for articles at this site, no filler.

-Jake
chessgolf

Post by chessgolf »

Good reply Jake!

I submitted one new article and two that I have used elsewhere for "usage" only.

Having done so, I read a comment from Ed to someone who had an article rejected due to embedded links.

This concerned me as I actually copied my two previously published articles from the website as I had not retained the Word document. Chances are that my articles will be rejected for that reason.

I don't mind as long as my first one is accepted and then I can move on to a further 6 as you suggest.

I suppose I should just get writing as you say and have them ready for submission!

Thanks for the comments folks.

JC
Ed

Post by Ed »

If you are aware that there may be a problem, please check the documents and remove/resubmit if necessary.

Thank you,
Ed
JShade

Post by JShade »

Chessgolf : Just so you know, that you can change the document you have uploaded. Click My Content in the left column, hit 'edit' and then you can remove the document you have attached and then attach a new/updated one. I have continuously revised mine since uploading my first three and did this several times as I have learned more and more rules. They are very strict on this site which I don't mind as long as I can translate that to money :) Best of luck Mr. Chessgolf and hopefully we will see more.

-Jake
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

chessgolf wrote:This concerned me as I actually copied my two previously published articles from the website as I had not retained the Word document. Chances are that my articles will be rejected for that reason.
JC, in what format did you submit these 2 articles? If you submitted as Word documents, it's a good idea to check the files now to confirm if there are any embedded links in them. If there are, you can go back and edit your 2 submissions and re-upload the file. Ed mentioned doing this will not make the articles lose their spots in the reviewing queue. (It's only when you delete a submission and re-submit that it gets sent to the back of the queue.) Just thinking if you can help NOT getting rejected, it's a good idea to re-check your files.
chessgolf

Post by chessgolf »

Pardon my ignorance nichewriter.

How do you check for embedded links?
Will they show in the document or are they hidden from view in some way?

One document is.rtf and the other .txt
One was written in Wordpad and the other on Notepad.

They look OK on the surface but that might mean nothing!

Thanks JC
chessgolf

Post by chessgolf »

I should add ...

Copied to - not written to.

Am I right in saying that if there are embedded links, they would show as clickable if you copied them to Word Processor? or not?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

chess, use this format for addressing websites:

domain.com

or for a page

domain.com/mypage.html
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

Usually if you copy something from a site onto a Word document, there are hidden texts and links included. They are invisible and in my case, I try to find them by highlighting the entire document and looking. In some cases, the links are embedded in the words/phrases in the article themselves and unless these words appear in a different color (e.g., blue, gray, red, etc.), you won't be able to tell just by looking.

To be on the safe side, right before submitting an article, I make sure to clear ALL formatting in the document (I use OpenOffice Writer), then I highlight the entire text, open up Notepad and paste it there. I check to see if there are any weird characters and links -- anything that shouldn't be there -- and if all's OK, I open up a new document, copy the text from Notepad on there and save the file as a .doc file. I know this may sound like a laborious process, but once you get used to it, it doesn't take more than 2 or 3 minutes to do.

Also, if you need to refer to sites in your articles, don't include the http:// part of the address. So if you are specifically mentioning a certain site (perhaps as a reference), write it as ThisSite.com instead of http://www.thissite.com

HTH!
chessgolf

Post by chessgolf »

Thanks for that niche.

I didn't have any links in the original articles. I just got the idea from Ed's comment mentioned above that copying my article from a website would 'bring' embedded links with it.

I've checked both articles and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.

I think I copied to Word Processor first then transferred to Notepad and Wordpad.

Everything looks OK so I'm hopeful there will be no rejection for embedded links.
Glad I asked the question though!

Thanks again.