Game tutorial with screenshots?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

NicoleJLeBoeuf

Game tutorial with screenshots?

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

I'm thinking of writing some tutorials for an online multiplayer video game - how to improve your skill at this or that mini-game. If I were doing this on my own blog, I'd accompany the writing with screen-shots illustrating the concepts described. Is that allowed here? Which is to say...

1) May we embed images in MS Word documents that we upload?

2) Would a screen-shot of an online game be considered OK in light of the rule prohibiting use of photos we don't own the rights to?

Thank you!
Ed

Re: Game tutorial with screenshots?

Post by Ed »

Yes, you can do this, but just be aware that some companies don't like screenshots taken of their programs. You can read the whole discussion about this here:
http://www.constant-content.com/forum/v ... ots#p30118
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

I looked around for previous discussions of the topic, but missed this one. Thanks for the reference! And also for the word of caution. I may end up creating my own (very simple) graphics to illustrate the point, just to stay on the safe side.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Check out the website for the game you'd like to write a tutorial for. In many cases, there is a copyright notice there along with a contact email link. Sometimes they even have pics which can be used without written consent (although rare).

Fair Use laws are tricky animals. It's always better to ask for permission. In many cases, permission will be given if the reason for asking is worded correctly. Take songs for example. If you use more than the title and two or three lines of it, it is best to ask for permission from the copyright holder or his/her/their representative. The worst that can happen is that they'll refuse. In some cases they'll ask to see the finished work/article before publication.

You should only run into trouble if you're doing an entire book on the game with lots of copyrighted images included. I'm not 100% sure on how the laws apply if you were to list it as a blog entry for sale. I'd err on the side of caution. Whenever money is involved, consider that all Fair Use and DMCA restrictions apply.
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Thanks for the advice, Barry. Your recommendation to check the game's Terms of Service is definitely a one. In the case of the game I'm thinking of, the Terms do not make the answer here obvious. People use screenshots frequently in their posts on the game forum and for personal use, and they upload tutorial videos to YouTube, but it's not clear how the game owners feel about screenies used as part of paid work. I'll definitely be emailing the game owner before I do anything.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

If it's a free application/game, they generally don't mind. It's basically free advertisement. The biggest determining factor is who their parent company is. EA Games, and anything owned by Disney are pretty nasty. People do violate the ToS and other rules all the time, but even Google doesn't have the money or time to pursue each and every violator. Again, it all comes down to money.

I'm not sure how tutorials work in reference, but there are a number of companies which want to see articles before they're printed or sold. They may even be protected the same as reviews, but I'm no attorney.