begging to differ

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

jaebaeli

begging to differ

Post by jaebaeli »

I just looked at the "Requested Content" and it still says 15 total. Is there some other content somewhere i haven't discovered yet? Where are these "hundreds?"

As for the rudeness factor--i have read through posts by other authors and they have pasted quotes many times from the staff. It struck me as frequently and overtly disrespectful. I know there will always be some folks who don't follow instructions or simply don't get it, or are simply not qualified. Believe me, i deal with them in my work all the time and it can be very frustrating; I have been an editor and writer for 26 years. I am not without commiseration for the situation. But i am not seeing much solution-oriented action taking place here. The problems seem to be primarily that questions don't get addressed properly, completely, or effectively, and the submission guidelines are cursory, at best, and also that the category list is largely arranged in a strange, non-sensical and counter-intuitive way.

If someone like me, with my experience in web design and webmastering, editing, technical writing, creative writing, business wirting, and management can be immediately confused and frustrated by your site, then it makes sense that others would too. A "learning curve" is not meant to be used as an excuse for confusing or absent details, nor improper arrangement of information.

Here's my contention: the staff doesn't have time to answer repeated questions, (i get that) so, the staff should provide a reference for writers about these issues, so it's addressed only once. If there are posts of confusion, those people should be referred tot hat reference, and that reference should be continually updated, rather than constantly answering the same question on the forum.These references should NOT be in ONLY the form of a STICKY, although that's helpful as a backup. These references should be in a Writer's reference area, and should be expanded as needed when writers point out issues that need resolution or clarification.

I await your link to these hundreds of articles.
thanks
Jae
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

If you look under "requested content" you will see All Content has 15 requests then below that are additional requests for specific categories such as computers, music, marriage, travel, etc..... if you click "view description" you will see the details. Look under the Computers request and you will see each request listed there is for 100+ articles. This same client also has several other large requests posted in the "all content" section.

Here's just one "link to hundreds of requests", I'll let you explore to find the others:
http://www.constant-content.com/?area=a ... sc&cat=113

As for the learning curve it's pretty minor -- it may take some of us a few tries such as figuring out how much to post in the summary sections, or not to put hyperlinks in articles for sale etc but once we get it, it's easy. My first 2 articles were rejected for little things like that but I now have over 300 articles accepted with maybe 2 rejections since then..I have sold over 250 articles since January of this year so I can say there's plenty of opportunity here and every one has been helpful across the board even when I've been pesky!

CC is working on a redesign addressing some of the confusing things about the site. I don't really want to get into a big discussion about the site, it's not for everybody and if you're not comfortable here and have other places where you are successful so be it. But I WILL stick up for the staff, they're awesome.
jaebaeli

Post by jaebaeli »

I just realized you are not STAFF. My approach was colored by that assumption. My mistake.

I'm glad you're happy with the site. But i still cannot get staff to respond specifically to all the points i asked about, so no, i'm not happy, because the lack of those answers keep me from submitting what i write. I don't have time to write about "anything and everything." I'm very busy writing just what i write. So i need those answers in order to proceed.

As for the numerous articles--i thought the numbers would include variety, and not variations in the same subject. A thousand articles in an area i am not proficient in, does not help me much. I will not write about something unless i really know what i'm talking about. That's just me. I'm very busy focusing on continuing my knowledge in my current areas of expertise, and thus, i don't have time for the learning curve in other areas at this point. I was looking for work in topics I know about right now. Does that make any sense?

Additionally, I have a slight problem taking instructions and critiques about my writing from any staff member who can't spell, nor use grammar and language properly. I also don't have the time to do battle every time i submit something.

I will check out the link when i get a moment, and i thank you for your input. It may be moot, however, as i have already asked to be removed.
Celeste Stewart

My last response and I'm done here -perhaps your lack of answers is colored by your approach?

G'nite. G'luck.
jaebaeli

Post by jaebaeli »

See? You've proved my point. "Approach" meaning, question? meaning, asking for clarity? for professionalism? Anytime someone challenges anyone here, they become rude. I was right to request cancellation. I feel even better about it now.
Celeste Stewart

I dunno -- "approach" meaning? You used it first - as in your "approach" to me when you thought I was CC staff versus a fellow writer who's only trying to help you out. Jeepers, you even apologized when you realized that!

You were complaining about a lack of requests (only 15) and I pointed you to 200+ articles currently needed -- complete with a link. BUT the particular link I chose to share wasn't in your area of expertise --- so therefore this website must suck.

Gee, "i" must be a numbnut and all 'cuz my grammar ain't perfect, 'specially on the boards -- and rude to boot! OOOHHHH Don't make me go there. :shock:

Whatever. I'm sure you have a fine resume and sounds like you have a great deal going on elsewhere, no need to dis the rest of us. While my statement may have been provocative, it certainly wasn't rude. You want rude? OOOHHHH, like I say......

...but in all fun, really, don't take me too seriously, this whole thing is silly. There's a lot here if you want it. If not, fine.

Truly, if it's a good fit, that's awesome and welcome aboard. If not, that's fine too and good luck elsewhere. Sorry for *trying* to help.

Signing off - the Rude Dudette
jaebaeli

Post by jaebaeli »

You misinterpret me. And you make assumptions.

My approach was professional at all times--BUT i was referring to my approach with staff members, on other posts, not you. If i had known you were a fellow writer who was trying to help, i would have responded in the way that two writers share information about the business of writing, not as a writer who needed answers from the staff. And i did NOT apologize to you. I acknowledged my mistake in assuming you were a member of staff. I said, "I just realized you are not STAFF. My approach was colored by that assumption. My mistake." And i would not have addressed you with the underpinnings of you as a somewhat responsible party, if i had known you were not.

you said,
"Gee, "i" must be a numbnut and all 'cuz my grammar ain't perfect, 'specially on the boards -- and rude to boot! OOOHHHH Don't make me go there. "

I wasn't referring to you, i was referring to certain members of staff. I have no opinion about your intelligence, as i do not know you. I'm sure you are a very smart, capable person, as evidenced by your many published articles.

You said, "BUT the particular link I chose to share wasn't in your area of expertise --- so therefore this website must suck." No, the site began to fall under the "sucks" category, when staff would not fully answer my questions, and then i saw so many examples of the abusive language towards writers who were only trying to understand how to do things properly, and get their own questions answered. I don't know whether that link was pertinent to my expertise, as i have yet to look at it. I am working on other things at the moment. I was referring to what was posted on the site as available work. Those, i did look at, and that's what i was referring to. Perhaps they were in my area, but that point has become moot, as i don't like the spirit of this site at all, and by that time had decided against having affiliation with it.

I am not so desperate for work, that i will compromise my integrity and allow others to treat me with such disregard and rudeness. The rudeness factor had not yet become a problem for me personally, but i am capable of seeing that if it's the norm with other writers, it would only be a matter of time before i was treated that way too. No thanks.

You are entitled to feel however you feel, and if your experience has been contrary to mine, that's your experience. Mine was different. No amount of writing opportunities will convince me to compromise the type of environment i am willing to tolerate.
Celeste Stewart

Could've fooled me, I was sure I heard you calling me rude....especially when you replied, "Anytime someone challenges anyone here, they become rude. "

Gee, what's an apology other than admitting a mistake? Good grief, let's get technical.

Seriously it's not worth hashing over. I'm just a fellow writer lovin' writing. We both have different experiences here and that's just the way life goes. Keeps it interesting.

I have seen some of your other posts and I really haven't seen the rudeness you're so sure has been directed at you. I guess everyone's perception is their own reality... just as I felt burned when you didn't mean to direct it my way.

Peace. Gotta go. More important things calling me.
jaebaeli

Post by jaebaeli »

Once again, i NEVER said the staff was rude to me. i said i saw them being rude to everyone else.

you're right, this isn't worth hashing over, as you insist on misinterpreting and creating things i did not say.

i wish you the best.
I'm out of here.
(Don't bother responding, i won't be back).
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

Wow... What did I miss!

First let me say as the admin of the site, I'm not a writer and most of our regular writers here know just this. Second, our editors are over qualified and have been writing for decades. From an outsiders (non writer) standpoint I have realized that some writers can’t take rejection or criticism, I assume its an ego thing for the ones that can’t learn and grow. I have also learned that this site doesn’t work for many writers and that’s fine, its not meant for everyone. The writers that do very well here are the writers that can write on any subject. Writers that do well here create a following with clients and clients end up loving the writing style of the writer. They end up looking for articles posted by that particular writer and post private requests to that writer.

This site is not run by a large corporation, it was the idea one one person who continues to work on improving the site. We are constantly updating and changing the site as it grows by leaps and bounds. With that said the next update is one of the largest, with a complete redesign of the entire site. The current site is basically update upon update and we have really outgrown the structure of the current site. Most of your website issues are likely a result of this, but we are working on correcting it as I write this.

Celeste stop scaring away competition ;).... Just kidding. All I can say is I’m sorry the site didn’t work out for you jaebaeli and I wish you luck. Celeste thank you for your positive comments.

I normally don’t delete threads but I have to say I’m fighting the urge to delete this one, it really doesn’t help anyone.
Celeste Stewart

Now I can rule the world baaaa wwaaaahh haaaaa haaaaaa :lol:
Megan

Post by Megan »

jaebaeli --

As a writer on constant content, I am incredibly sorry you feel the way you do. I absolutely fell in love with CC the minute I uploaded my first article. I would personally urge you to take a deep breath and at least try submitting a few articles . . . and just see what happens. You might be pleasantly surprised. If not, then at least you can say you tried and you don't ever have to return if you choose not to. The entire system is, in my opinion, fantastic. But it isn't for everyone.

I wish you the best!
Megan
Greg Melikov

purchasing content

Post by Greg Melikov »

I'm not worried about what the requested content is because that's exclusively up to those seeking articles. However, I am concerned about the content being requested and the subject matter. It appears my areas of expertise just don't chive with the areas that get the most action. I have posted a half-dozen quality articles in the "use" category because they are selling very well and I have quite a few clients. So why haven't I had one nibble? I guess I'm in the wrong spot with the wrong subject matter no matter the time. So I'm not going to submit any articles until I sell at least one. I'm not upset, but I don't intend to waste my valuable time fishing when I'm already doing very well on my own.
thomask

Post by thomask »

Writing requires you to know your market, know whats in demand, and if you write something that is not, its up to you to sell the benefits of it to those who might be interested.

I know of at least one writer who before he writes a series of articles on anything he takes 'pre orders' before he writes them, or the book on any topic, this saves him time, and increases his returns.

I've found this site extremely useful as both a writer, and as a purchaser of articles when I can not find the time to write what I want myself.

The Problems I have had have always been as a result of not being familiar and watchful of site requirements. These are things any professional writer should be eager to learn for any market they are selling into.

ie:
Don't use big words for a kids book.
Don't use kid words for a professional library.

Much the same for what any article site will require. This site's seem pretty easy to meet when you actually sit down and go through them. And if your too busy to take the time to go through these requirements, then why is this site, and the need to create problems high on your priority list?

Only a few articles? I have seen some writers with hundreds of articles on variety of topics, I've even purchased some from them.

Not submitting any more articles can adversely affect those looking to purchase your articles, they have less to compare against in your own portfolio. It is your decision however. Good luck and God speed.

Thomas
Greg Melikov

Post by Greg Melikov »

Well, I beg to differ for several reasons. First, I know the market. I've been freelancing for more than four decades before and after I was a full-time editor/writer/columnist at The Miami Herald . Secondly, I earn a pretty good buck writing on a vareity of subjects for many clients since retiring from my last full-time job in 1997 -- so much so that I don't need to tap my pair of six-figure retirement funds since I'm receiving many, many cjecks each week. Third, one needs to know when to fish and cut bait, not wasting efforts. I fished and am cutting bait at only one of quite a few ponds. One of my college mentors once advised me that when you bang your head against a brick wall and it doesn't crack, move on. That's what I'm doing. So check out my www.horsingaround.info and see why I'm doing so well when it comes to horse racing. That's a slim part of my total freelancing picture. Good night and good luck.