Header Tags?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

JShade

Header Tags?

Post by JShade »

Hello everyone, I'm a new writer and seek to improve my craft. Previously a client ripped off a friend, thus tipping me off that I would be ripped off leaving several unsold documents which I am trying to sell on this site to recoup my time. Originally this article was written with a couple of html header tags giving titles to different sections of the document. As I am submitting these articles, I need to conform to CC's guidelines. So that the article passes review, how do you format this acceptably, the most serious question is regarding capitalization and punctuation. Should I use a period? Can I use basic html tags?
This is in addition to the fact that if you are sued after an accident, it is the insurer’s job to provide legal defense.

<h1>Finding the Right Agent</h1>

When a consumer makes the decision to find insurance to protect their investments, the most important factor is finding the right agent who will lead you to the most appropriate service.
The title "Finding the Right Agent", should it be, "Finding the right agent", or something else entirely? I'm not certain what is the proper punctuation and wording.

*Note : I am very new to writing professionally and attempting to change my writing style in such a way that requires less rewriting so please forgive my sloppy forum posting as this attempt to change causes much rambling and sometimes incoherence.

**Bonus Question : Can you change the title of a document after you have submitted, that is the only field that I can not seem to change and I entered a REALLY dumb name for an article.
nichewriter

Re: Header Tags?

Post by nichewriter »

You do not need to surround your subheads with HTML tags. You can set them in bold (if you are submitting a .doc file); otherwise, they are fine typed like the rest of the article. I submit articles as MS Word documents, but I make sure they are stripped of all formatting, except for the required 12-point Times New Roman or Arial font, double-space between paragraphs, and no paragraph indents.
JShade wrote:The title "Finding the Right Agent", should it be, "Finding the right agent", or something else entirely? I'm not certain what is the proper punctuation and wording.
I think "Finding the Right Agent" and "Finding the right agent" are both OK, but my personal preference is the first when I use subheads in my articles.
JShade wrote:**Bonus Question : Can you change the title of a document after you have submitted, that is the only field that I can not seem to change and I entered a REALLY dumb name for an article.
You need to delete the article first and then resubmit with the new/correct title. As long as your articles are still under review, you can make changes to them or even delete them if you catch errors, etc.

HTH.
Ed

Post by Ed »

How you format subtitles is up to you, but capitalizing them in the same manner you would titles draws the reader's eye to them and increases the "skimability" of your article, which is usually a good thing. In addition, all subtitles should be formatted consistently.

Please remember that you may ask "usage rights only" for articles published elsewhere, even if you remove those articles from your site.

Thank you,
Ed
JShade

Post by JShade »

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I am using the capitalized with not punctuated titles as recommended and have cleaned up/replaced the uploaded articles. Thank for the reminder about the usage rights only, I've uploaded three articles, one has been submitted somewhere before but I may have become confused and allowed more than usage rights on it. Off to edit it right now with apologies.

*note : Just checked and I did get it right, the only one submitted elsewhere was setup for usage only. Second question, is their a why to change the title of an article without resubmitting, I used a VERY dumb title name.
Ed

Post by Ed »

The only way to change the title is to remove the article and resubmit.

Thanks,
Ed
JShade

Post by JShade »

Thanks for the replies, I know you all are very busy. I could not find this answer in the FAQ though it seems like an easy question.

Can I include my name at the end of an article?

I noticed in a previous thread that someone was upset that their name was not displayed in an article they wrote and sold the unique rights. Thus when he complained his article did not give him credit, CC stated (I think) that because his name was not in the article, he had no recourse.

Can I put my name modestly at the end of my articles?
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

You can place your byline in the article itself. In fact, this is the recommended practice. I usually place mine at the top like this:

This is the Article Title
By Celeste Stewart

This is the first sentence of the article.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Should subheadings be seperated from the paragraph? I'm a rookie as well.

Really Brilliant Subheading
And this would be the opening sentence of the paragraph.

-or-

Really Brilliant Subheading

And this would be the opening sentence of the paragraph.

I've seen it both ways elsewhere. But, I have GPS and this aint elsewhere.....

Thanks

-Phil
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I double space my subheaders from the following paragraph. I think it looks cleaner, but I also know that others don't do it. I guess it's your preference.
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

I agree with Lysis; the text looks cleaner if there is a line space between the subhead and the text following it. I tend to format my articles this way.
Phil

Post by Phil »

So long as Ed doesn't mind..... then life is good. I like the double spaced method myself. Thanks - Phil
JShade

Post by JShade »

Wow Celeste you are quite the wealth of information! Will follow your recommendation (again).

I has another question...

If I 'edit' an article do I get dropped back to the beginning of the cue? I've been looking over, revising etc. as I read more of the guidelines. Trying to get a really tight feel. Am I penalized for this?
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Not sure. I imagine that a minor edit such as changing a few words and re-uploading the correct file wouldn't ding you if the article has not been reviewed yet, but not completely sure of that. Either way, don't let it stop you. If you think an article needs revised, then revise it. Try to think long term and penalties will be replaced by rewards :)
JShade

Post by JShade »

I (reluctantly) took down an article and resubmitted it, painful but I had that critical flaw in the fact that the name was lame. Seeing as how I have not yet had an article accepted(or reviewed) I can only upload 3 at a time and I'm just dying to dump a few more into the system! (I understand the necessity of the system but that doesn't change that it is annoying)

My big question is if I delete and upload a new file in place of a current attachment, does that reset my position in the cue?
Ed

Post by Ed »

No, it doesn't.