Illustrations with articles?

Have question or recommendation regarding our photography area? Post it here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Marika

Illustrations with articles?

Post by Marika »

I haven't attempted this yet, so I was wondering if someone could walk me through the process of submitting illustrations to go along with an article. I have about thirty how-to articles with illustrations, but haven't submitted them yet because I haven't got a clue what to do! Heeelp! :oops:
BarryDavidson

Re: Illustrations with articles?

Post by BarryDavidson »

Are they your own photos, edited to remove any trademarked or copyrighted products?

If they are your own photos you can submit them. You can't still embed them in the article. It can take two-plus weeks for a photo to get approved, depending on the subject matter, etc. You can recommend using the pictures in the description for the article, but I'll be honest with you. Most buyers want to use their own photos, or they'll go to iStock photos. I'd say to submit your photos.
Marika

Post by Marika »

Thanks, Barry :)

They're actually hand-drawn illustrations of how to put together different furniture projects, so they sort of have to go with the articles they're matched with. Maybe I'll have to re-write the articles so that the illustrations aren't quite so important, or find somewhere else to submit them :(

Or...maybe turn them into an ebook...? Lol I have no idea what to do with these things; they've been sitting in my desk for months. I'll come up with something!
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Perhaps you could put a note in the short summary, "Hand-drawn illustrations available on request." In the body of the document, every time an illustration is supposed to appear, put a note--"illustration here"--or something like that. Then a buyer who's serious about the package could simply do a private request to you, and you could send along the complete document with illies included (which I believe IS allowed by CC). A bit convoluted, but I think it would work.