Waking up the thread

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

J. A. Young

Waking up the thread

Post by J. A. Young »

Anyone read any good books lately? I'm in the middle of a dud right now. Always looking for good books to add to my reading list.
mskatmoon

books

Post by mskatmoon »

The only good book I am reading (and good I suppose is open to interpretation depending on someone's likes and desires right?) is called Ohio Geography. But I like books like this. It isn't quite a academic study in Ohio Geography. But it isn't for those who don't understand certain geographical terms.

I have been reading Myths and Legends of the British Isles which is quite a good book of stories and myths. But I stopped due to my interest in the aforementioned book.

I read the classics to my kids (Charlotte's Web, Huck Finn, The Hobbit and all those). Do those count? I like those books too, that's why I read them aloud to the kids.
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

I would say those count!. The dud I am reading--if one can refer to something by D.H. Lawrence as a dud--is titled The Lost Lady, one of his lesser known novels.

I don't know if I could dig the Ohio Geography topic, but you never know. The last good book I read just a few months ago is called Gould's Book of Fish by Richard Flanagan--won all sorts of Aussie prizes. About a nineteenth century penal colony on Tasmania and utterly wonderful.

I guess if I can get into Tasmania, I can think about Ohio. --J.
Aariana Adams

Post by Aariana Adams »

I read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenberger recently. I thought it was extraordinary. Also, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke. I think it is her debut novel... intriguing and amazing.

AA
mattsterrr

Post by mattsterrr »

Anything and everything by George Orwell. Homage to Catalonia is an astounding book, not to mention 1984 of course.

I'm reading through the Isaac Asimov catalogue of books again at the moment. You never realise quite how much of an impact he had on the world of sci-fi until you read them through again.
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

I recently read Burmese Days by Orwell--it's one of those novels that sticks with you, despressing as it is. More and more I'm turning into a geographical reader--getting to know a climate or locale like China, Siberia, or wherever.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel has been on my list--it seems like fall or winter reading though. Glad to hear someone liked it though.

Anyone read A.S. Byatt? Just finished the Night Watch by Sarah Waters--very brilliant, very unforgettable in its way. --J.
Megan

Post by Megan »

Aariana Adams wrote:I read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenberger recently. I thought it was extraordinary. Also, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke. I think it is her debut novel... intriguing and amazing.

AA
I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife and LOVED it. I would highly recommend it to anyone . . .
mattsterrr

Post by mattsterrr »

J. A. Young wrote:I recently read Burmese Days by Orwell--it's one of those novels that sticks with you, despressing as it is. More and more I'm turning into a geographical reader--getting to know a climate or locale like China, Siberia, or wherever.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel has been on my list--it seems like fall or winter reading though. Glad to hear someone liked it though.

Anyone read A.S. Byatt? Just finished the Night Watch by Sarah Waters--very brilliant, very unforgettable in its way. --J.
None of his books are exactly cheerful. 1984 is about the biggest oppression the world can imagine, Animal Farm the break down of Marxism to an extent and Homage to Catalonia was about his time in the Spanish Civil War when he got shot in the neck and nearly died. I don't recall reading Burmese Days, to be honest.

I shall have to try and hunt that down when I'm finished with Asimov (so, that's more than 300 books although I think I'll give the Chemistry text books a miss, and many more hundreds of articles).
Aariana Adams

Post by Aariana Adams »

I haven't read anything A.S. Byatt but Possession and A Whistling Woman are on my list. Have you read them?

Yes, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell is probably a cold weather book. The book is footnoted, as though what you are reading is real - and reading the footnotes is a fascinating part of the novel. Historic 19th century figures are prominent. I found myself thinking "I don't remember this happening" and then realize that "oops, it's fiction."

I understand there is a "time traveler" genre out there. I don't know if Time Traveler's Wife is typical of that genre, but the writing is awesome. Mattsterr - this isn't just a female-read. It's a hauntingly, grown-up love story happening under unthinkable circumstances.

I love the "book-talk." Thanks J.A., Mattsterr and Megan.
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

I like Possession best of all that I've read by her. I think wait on Whistling Woman--I think it's part of a trilogy: Virgin in the Garden then Still Life and then Whistling Woman. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

Anyway--I love British writers. Read Sebastian Faulks? He has a new one coming out this fall. Can't wait.

Well, just got baby to sleep so I might try to get going on an article. Been watching the Keira Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice--it's such rubbish I'd do better to watch the Flintstones. The A&E version with Colin Firth (who was born to be Mr. Darcy) is unsurpassed.

Have a good night. --J.
Aariana Adams

Post by Aariana Adams »

Great that you mentioned Faulks as I have The Fatal Englishman and Birdsong on order. They should arrive any day. Also The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I'm not that familiar with either author but am looking forward to some power reading.

Thanks for the tip about A Whistling Woman.
REason

A Gem of a Book

Post by REason »

I found this little gem of a book at my local privately owned new book store: The Curious Lore of Precious Stones by: George Frederick Kunz. The last I had heard was that it was not going to be republished, when I saw it I snatched it up!

For those who don't know George Frederick Kunz was the most established gemologist in America - curator and consultant to Tiffany's. The book was originally published in 1913. It contains the most comprehensive collection of gemstone folklore. I got the unabridged edition - complete with all the terms of the early 1900's.
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

Great that you mentioned Faulks as I have The Fatal Englishman and Birdsong on order.
I loved Birdsong in particular. A lot of war in the novel, but it was actually very educating. Didn't know much about WWI and trench warfare--the underground miners for example. Hope you like it! Charlotte Gray is just as wonderful but takes place during WWII. --J.
Aariana Adams

Post by Aariana Adams »

I'm into Birdsong now. Finished Part One (1910) in one reading. Now begins 1916.