how does your job affect your writing?

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

mskatmoon

how does your job affect your writing?

Post by mskatmoon »

I know for some, this technically could be your job and could be writing related. But I thought I'd post it here in case it went off topic.

How does your job affect your writing? Some people only write part time. Others it is a full time thing. Are there possibly some jobs that give incentive, or fresh ideas to write about? Do some people find it very difficult to find time to write?

I'd say most of us here obviously find time to write or there wouldn't be content here would there? :lol:
I work from home and consider myself a freelance writer. I maintain a kid's gardening website and do this occasionally. I haven't written much lately though since summer has hit. I also homeschool my kids so that takes a lot out of me. I guess parenting is my number one job. Too bad I don't get paid, monetarily, for it! :lol:
psharmon

Post by psharmon »

Being a freelance writer full-time is something I've wanted forever. I finally gave up my career in real estate to become full-time in Feb. of this year. While the money is obviously not as good, I wouldn't change it for the world. I don't have young children at home (they are pretty much grown) so it is easy in that sense. My biggest difficulty is making myself sit still long enough to write. In real esate, I was off tramping through the woods and going on showings all day long...now, I sit all day so it is a big change.

I have to say that my experience in real estate has landed me some really good paying jobs, as well as previous experience in Customer Service. I try to send out at lease two queries a day and take a good hour or more everyday to simply look for new writing jobs.

As for ideas to write about, I'm never lacking the ideas, just the words to put them all down. :shock:

All in all, I do not miss real estate and look at all the money I'm saving on gas!!!!!!!
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I currently work at home part time doing marketing for an auto glass company. It's a great job but I don't ever want to go back to full time in an office ever again. Having the freedom to work from home when I want has motivated me to find other alternatives. Freelance writing has definitely been good to me! I have a 5 year old and will be giving birth any day now to a baby so I figure I have about 5 more years before I have to face the dilemna of going back to work full time. I hope to make enough freelancing that it won't be a decision I even have to consider. Instead, when the baby is in school I can devote more time to writing..... that's my plan anyway.

My work doesn't really give me many topics that have sold here or elsewhere. No one seems too interested in windshield adhesives! I suppose I could write about more general topics such as working from home, marketing, customer service, office politics, etc.... but I like the freedom freelancing gives - we can write per requests and learn something new in the process, or we can write about whatever strikes our fancy and see if that sells.

I'm also writing a young adult novel and trying to market my existing novel to agents and publishers. So that's fun too....
Galskygge

Post by Galskygge »

I work as much as I can as a writer. Though the money isn't great I wouldn't change it for the world. Unless I needed a job to flow in cash constantly then I would look for one of those, however I would still write. I live at home with my parents because my mom is sick, so it doesn't really leave room for a normal 8-5 job, which is something I can be thankful for as far as freelance writing goes. I volunteer as a proof editor for Space Junkies Magazine. It's an e-zine online, which has turned into a very popular e-zine over the years that it has been up. I have gained a lot of knowledge in the proof editing department due to volunteering for SJM. Perhaps one day I could run my own online business for proofreading, though that is only a thought for now.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Galskygge, I'll have to check out Space Junkies, I love the name! Your business ideas sounds like a good idea, now that the idea is planted you've taken the first step....

What does your screen name mean? I can't figure it out!
Galskygge

Post by Galskygge »

-chuckles- Their website is www.spacejunkies.net , though I must warn you that their name really doesn't revolve around "space" sort of things. I think a lot of people who have never heard of SJM think that O.o.

You're the first person in a very long time who has asked me what my screen name means. I've actually had it since I was a teen, and since I it's an odd name it's so much easier to sign up for things online without having to think of a name that isn't taken :p. Let alone a name that I will actually remember, lol. Anyway, Galskygge is actually two words. Gal-Skygge. It's norwegian for Demented-Shadow. Which is actually the short version of an old sn I had on AIM a very long time ago. The only named meant 'Demented Shadow's Keeper'. I've been way too lazy to change a screen name that everyone already knows too well :p.
HerbDoctor

Post by HerbDoctor »

Galskygge wrote:. . first person. . . asked me what my screen name means..
I'm glad she asked; I couldn't work up the courage. :wink:

I'm a full-time writer. I'm a whisper away from a PhD in natural medicine and have certificates in Ayruveda, TCM, American herbology, and a handful of other therapies but Arkansas doesn't license naturopaths or herbologists so I had to either choose to work in a legal "gray area" or do something else. So I write.

How do I find time to write? I treat it just like any other job. When I'm writing, I'm not watching tv, doing chores or anything else. I start and end my day at about the same times every day. I go into my office in the morning and come out only for short breaks.

My job (natural health educator) directly affects my writing because natural health is all I write about. For me, specializing just made sense but I envy those of you who can write about any topic.

Lisa
Galskygge

Post by Galskygge »

lol. how will we know what anything means in life if we don't ask? :)
Debtfree

Re: how does your job affect your writing?

Post by Debtfree »

mskatmoon wrote:I know for some, this technically could be your job and could be writing related. But I thought I'd post it here in case it went off topic.

How does your job affect your writing? Some people only write part time. Others it is a full time thing. Are there possibly some jobs that give incentive, or fresh ideas to write about? Do some people find it very difficult to find time to write?

I'd say most of us here obviously find time to write or there wouldn't be content here would there? :lol:
I work from home and consider myself a freelance writer. I maintain a kid's gardening website and do this occasionally. I haven't written much lately though since summer has hit. I also homeschool my kids so that takes a lot out of me. I guess parenting is my number one job. Too bad I don't get paid, monetarily, for it! :lol:
I would love to just be able to write for a living. I am a RN working at a cardiology firm in Wheatridge,CO. I really love me job and the people I work with but my heart is my writing.

I have written 3 Christian books, and I love to do this the most. I want to be in full time ministry and writing for the Lord.

At this point it hasn't manifested, but I do believe that it will come to pass in the proper timing.

Debtfree
SallyA

Post by SallyA »

I`m a full-time writer, although frankly my income is drying up lately. I have some fairly regular work outside of CC, which pays quite well, and I rely on CC to top my income up. I`m studying at the same time so my time is pretty affected.