Author rights

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

grannyp

Author rights

Post by grannyp »

You can probably tell from all my questions that I am new to this.
If an article is sold for full rights, can I still use it for my portfolio? As I am new to this, I am trying to build one.
nichewriter

Re: Author rights

Post by nichewriter »

grannyp wrote:You can probably tell from all my questions that I am new to this.
If an article is sold for full rights, can I still use it for my portfolio? As I am new to this, I am trying to build one.
This can be tricky. Some buyers will retain your byline even if they buy full rights, so you can probably include those. It can be hard to track, though, and down the line buyers may make small changes to your articles and remove your byline (so it isn't really a good idea to include those in your portfolio anyway). Most buyers purchase full rights because they can basically do anything they want with the articles, including removing your name (and putting their name) and making changes to your articles.

If you're trying to build a portfolio, stick to selling usage rights and/or unique rights only.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

What kind of portfolio? As you sell more content you will find it showing up in various places. If it's got your name on it, you can use it as an example of your work.
grannyp

Post by grannyp »

If I sell full rights, the buyer can remove my name.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

grannyp wrote:If I sell full rights, the buyer can remove my name.
Correct, but they often do not remove your name.