Netbook

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Jaye

Netbook

Post by Jaye »

Does anyone use a netbook for writing? I'm wondering about the screen size and keyboard size - are they comfortable enough for working on for an hour or two at a time? I'm considering one of these instead of a laptop because they are cheaper. I already have a desktop pc that will do everything else I need, so it's something small and portable I'd like. The netbooks I've considered are the Asus R101, Acer Aspire One D255 and the HP Mini 210.

If anyone has any experience using any of these, I'd love to hear your opinion.
Thanks.
nichewriter

Re: Netbook

Post by nichewriter »

Jaye wrote:Does anyone use a netbook for writing? I'm wondering about the screen size and keyboard size - are they comfortable enough for working on for an hour or two at a time? I'm considering one of these instead of a laptop because they are cheaper. I already have a desktop pc that will do everything else I need, so it's something small and portable I'd like. The netbooks I've considered are the Asus R101, Acer Aspire One D255 and the HP Mini 210.

If anyone has any experience using any of these, I'd love to hear your opinion.
Thanks.

Jaye,

I use the Asus 1000HA for writing. It has a 10.1 inch screen and a 94% (I think) keyboard size. I have small fingers but my husband can type comfortably on it with no problems. My little netbook just turned 2 last November and it's still running (160GB space) and has 2GB memory (it came with 1GB of memory but I added another gig). After two years, I can still get 6 hours on the original 6-cell battery but I also got a bigger battery for extended life. I can get about 10 hours on the reserved battery. I love this netbook. It has been with me on camping trips and long road trips. I have gone 3 days on it just plugged into a 12-volt rechargeable battery when we camped. I have done some heavy graphic stuff (I have Photoshop CS3 and other graphic programs) on it and run all sorts of programs (e.g., the Sun Virtualbox so I can run Windows 2000 and Linux without it messing with my main configuration. Except for IE, I don't have any Microsoft programs on this computer -- if I need to, I start up Virtualbox and use MS programs). Of course, for that kind of thing, the screen size is pretty limiting but I have two 17-inch flat LCD monitors that I hook up to it both at the same time when I'm at home for lots of desktop real estate. I've written close to 500 articles and edited thousands on this little thing since I got it. I was planning on replacing this with the Asus EEE PC 1215n (12.1-inch screen) but decided to wait until it comes with USB 3. ASUS had press releases last May saying the 1215n will come with USB 3 but when it came out, it came with USB 2. I hope this helps!

~Sherry
Jaye

Post by Jaye »

Thanks Sherry!! Sounds like one of these little things will be just the job. Glad you can type comfortably on it - that was my main concern, as I want to use it for writing - no more piles of notebooks and bits of paper everywhere for me!
Just wondering - is it usual that you wouldn't be able to run MS programs on a netbook (or is it just the Asus)? The ones I looked at had Windows7 Starter - which I assume is enough to do basic word processing. Being a complete technical ignoramus I have no idea what most of the specifications mean :( As long as I can write articles, stories etc - and use the internet- I'll be happy!
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

Hi, Jaye.

I recommend trying out typing on the keyboard before you buy -- so it's a good idea to go to a store that has the netbook you want and then test it out first before you buy (whether at the store or online).
Jaye wrote:Just wondering - is it usual that you wouldn't be able to run MS programs on a netbook (or is it just the Asus)? The ones I looked at had Windows7 Starter - which I assume is enough to do basic word processing. Being a complete technical ignoramus I have no idea what most of the specifications mean :( As long as I can write articles, stories etc - and use the internet- I'll be happy!
Netbooks with the Windows OS will run MS programs -- it's just that I decided not to have any MS programs because they are so bloated and slow down the system. (If IE weren't integrated into Windows, I'd get rid of it too since I never use it.) I have OpenOffice and Abiword Portable (both free) to take care of my word processing needs. I have some clients who prefer documents created using MS Word. For that, I had the Sun Virtualbox installed. From there, MS Word is virtually installed. The MS programs only run in the virtual box when I have the virtual box running.

I don't know what's included in the Windows7 Starter, but I imagine it should have a basic word processor in there (you can find out when you go try netbooks out). If not, you'll need to install one (e.g., Microsoft Word or OpenOffice Writer).

~Sherry
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Also, you can use online versions of Word for free now via Windows Live. Google Docs is also an online version of a word processor.
Jaye

Post by Jaye »

Thanks Sherry and Celeste

I'll check out those other word-processing options.

Jaye
Gail Kavanagh

Post by Gail Kavanagh »

Jaye, I have the Acer D255 and I love it. I use it for everything and I don't miss the old desktop at all, which was always crashing on me.
It does have Word Starter 2010, which works OK, and has all functions. I think Open Office is better anyway, so will probably download that. Windows 7 Starter won't let you change the desktop wallpaper, but there's a beaut little program called Oceanis which will do that. I love the portability, and although I do have a plug in keyboard, mouse and flat screen I rarely use them now, as I have become quite accustomed to working directly on the Acer. I'm a terrible typist anyway so it"s not as if which keyboard I use makes a difference :-)

Whichever one you get, have no fear about using it for work.

Gail
Jaye

Post by Jaye »

Thanks Gail!
I'm quite excited about getting one of these things now. I may have a few more questions for you about that Acer (after christmas, when I've time to check them out a bit more). Can't wait to be portable. I'm hoping it'll open up a bit more writing time for me.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I have an Acer Aspire 1410 and I love it. It has enough power to support my gazillion opened windows including Visual Studio and SQL Server, which are memory hogs. Right now, I have 2 Chrome windows, Excel, IE, and 3 Word windows opened. This thing is great, and it's 1000x lighter than my laptop. As a matter of fact, I haven't touched my laptop in 6 months since I got this netbook. So, 2 thumbs up from me for writers who want to know if a laptop or netbook is better.