Freelance work on resumes

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

LyndseyShepherd

Freelance work on resumes

Post by LyndseyShepherd »

I am trying to update my resume now, but struggling with how to include freelance writing or work that I've done. It's not a lot so far because I've only started this year. Does anyone have any ideas on how to include this work on a resume?
Celeste Stewart

Re: Freelance work on resumes

Post by Celeste Stewart »

My resume is ancient, but if I recall, I put the date and description such as:

1990 to Present: Freelance Writing Projects
Writing training manuals, website content, eBooks, and press releases for a variety of clients including XYZ Corporation, LMNOP Inc., and RST Magazine.

If you have clients with national or local name recognition or that sound impressive, I'd name them if the clients have used your byline. If not, naming isn't really needed - generic descriptions such as local newspapers, trade journals,and Fortune 500 companies are also impressive.

I think including this on your resume shows that you have stayed busy between jobs and have additional skills. It also shows that you are resourceful. Definitely include something about your freelance experience :)
LyndseyShepherd

Post by LyndseyShepherd »

Thanks for the advice!
KateL

Post by KateL »

If you have work printed in a notable publication it can sometimes be worth adding the title of the article when listing freelance work. I would only suggest doing this on a CV specifically designed for literary or media jobs though. The information is irrelevant to most employers, but if a job you are going after involves writing then the more you can pad out your CV with the better. In that instance, create a section for freelance work in the way Celeste advised above, and then after you have listed a summary of projects add something along the lines of Notable work includes: 'Title of article here' for 'magazine or website who published the work' and the date it was printed.

If the content of the articles are in any way linked to the job you are applying for, then elaborate on that - but not too much. If you are applying for a job writing for a gardening magazine and have previously sold articles on growing your own tomatoes or the best time of year to prune a rosebush, then add a short paragraph explaining this. Tell your prospective employer that as well as your outlined freelance work you have also worked on many horticultural projects, including 'title of the article about tomatoes' for 'green fingered monthly' in 'date article was published'. Do not reveal all the information but include anything which shows that you have relevant experience, or experience which you could adapt to make useful.

Sometimes experience doesn't have to be directly linked with a job, but an employer wants to see how you tie all these things together. That is also important to remember if you are including freelance writing work on a CV but are not applying for a writing job. Though it shows you kept busy during your unemployed time, an employer wants to know why the information is relevant to them now. By adding a brief explanation under your freelance listing you can tie it all together. Say that your writing projects have expanded your communication skills, and enhanced your ability to research and organise information. Spend some time thinking about how your writing has benefitted you - in ways that would help you fit into the company - before an interview in case they ask you how your skills would help you if you were to join their workplace.

As long as you are confident about the things you put in your CV then you will always have something to help you sell yourself in interviews!
michaelsmoker

Post by michaelsmoker »

Funny how it's okay to tell a woman to "sell herself" when it comes to the jackboot conformist job interview process. In any other context that phrase would be highly offensive.

Michael