Grrrr @ Me! (Vent)

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

LaLa

Grrrr @ Me! (Vent)

Post by LaLa »

Prior to today, I'd never received a revision or rejection. However, my old dinosaur of a laptop took a vacation a few weeks ago and, of course, it took MS Word with it. Since then, I've been working with Open Office since my other laptop doesn't have Word. Besides the fact that this computer is uber tiny and strains my eyes, all was going pretty well until I submitted two articles and forgot to submit them in .doc format. Within an hour my perfect record was ruined and I received two revisions. :(

Having properly resubmitted them, I'm logging off to cry in my Wheaties, now.

***Enter violin music here***
Evelyn

Re: Grrrr @ Me! (Vent)

Post by Evelyn »

Do this:

Tools > Options > Load/Save > Always save as Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP

As a frugal writer using the free Open Office, I've experienced several irritations and glitches but it all works out. Why can't Microsoft give Office awaaaaay?

Write more, save money, and get a laptop for under $400 bucks. Good luck, my friend!
LaLa

Post by LaLa »

Thanks, Evelyn! In the past, I've been diligent about saving documents as a .doc file manually if they were going to clients (ditto when using GoogleDocs). Hadn't used Oo in a while, though, and totally forgot to do so this time. Will make a permanent change now though, so thanks for the prompting.

Hmm, just thought of something: If I do permanently change my settings, I won't be able to make edits. I mean, you have to have Word in order to make any changes to a document saved in that format, right?

The mini laptop I'm working on now is only a few months old, but didn't come with Word. I think I know how to fix my dinosaur laptop, which has Word, but just haven't gotten around to it. After yesterday's mishap, I now know it's time to make time, though.

Appreciate your encouragement! :)
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Man, I love the Internet.

http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/t ... ffice.html

Open Office will open .doc and .docx files. The .docx files sometimes can't be "translated" so the text ends up being nothing but garbage, yet sometimes they open fine... It might be a system font thing unique to my computer.

Anyhow, I'm glad you're having a better day today!
LaLa

Post by LaLa »

You are an absolute GEM! I love this! Thanks! :)
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

So my hotmail account decided to catch up with Google, um, about 5 years late. :)

Anyone with a hotmail account can now create and save documents using an online app of Word. They also offer One Note, Excel and Power Point. You can download them in the Skydrive management area of all of your documents.

Guess Microsoft finally decided to catch up with August 2005. :) Silly Microsoft... open source is taking over the world, and you are determined to be the last to know.
LaLa

Post by LaLa »

Sounds like it's time to get a Hotmail account, too. Thanks!

I wonder if it's like Google Apps, though. I can save documents in a Word format, but (as far as I know), I can't upload them to C-C. I can, however, attach them to emails or allow people to access them through Google Docs. Ditto for PDF formats.

Thanks, again!
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

You can download documents from both Google Docs and WIndows Live (Live.com)/Hotmail Office. In Google Docs, right-click the file, choose Export, and follow the prompts. In Windows Live Office/Hotmail, click the "More" button next to the document you want to download and choose Download. Follow the prompts. (Windows Live Office locks up my Web browser. I think it has to do with Silverlight. Haven't spent any time troubleshooting it because I don't plan on using it.)
LaLa

Post by LaLa »

Celeste Stewart wrote:You can download documents from both Google Docs and WIndows Live (Live.com)/Hotmail Office. In Google Docs, right-click the file, choose Export, and follow the prompts. In Windows Live Office/Hotmail, click the "More" button next to the document you want to download and choose Download. Follow the prompts. (Windows Live Office locks up my Web browser. I think it has to do with Silverlight. Haven't spent any time troubleshooting it because I don't plan on using it.)
Oh em gee! lol

You have solved a huge mystery for me. Thanks, Celeste!