GAHHH!!! (Sorry, just ranting!)

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Marika

GAHHH!!! (Sorry, just ranting!)

Post by Marika »

Everything started out so well this morning-I got up, wrote an article, cleaned my house, trained one of the dogs to turn on lights for my son, and then...nothing. I can't really say this is writer's block, though-this is just sheer frustration from having every freak in the neighborhood drop by my house today. So far, there have been nine people at my door, and the sun hasn't even gone down yet, lol. Since when did I become so popular, and how do I go back to being the neighborhood recluse?!? :?

Before anyone suggests it, I have a sign on my door already. Maybe I need a really NASTY sign?
Elizabeth Ann West

Re: GAHHH!!! (Sorry, just ranting!)

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

OR you don't answer the door? I don't always answer the door, but I have an infant and there are times when I can't. If it was really important, the person would have called first.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

I have a fenced yard with a locked gate 60 feet from my front door so no one can knock at my door. If they did, I wouldn't answer unless I was expecting them. I never even answer the phone unless I know who it is -- thank god for caller id. I really am a recluse!
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

I'm not a recluse, just once lived in a very rough neighborhood. Plus, we have construction going on in the neighborhood, right next door at the moment. I'm know it's not very likely something bad would happen, but I don't care to be that news story of Mom and daughter killed in sleepy neighborhood.

Don't think I'm completely paranoid, when we lived in Portsmouth, VA I came out of our bedroom one morning to a man standing in my living room trying to steal our electronics. Thankfully, he bolted when he saw me, but I will NEVER forget that feeling. And, to make matters worse, there are very few people who stay home anymore, so it really does kind of feel like you are all alone. The whole "Who would hear a scream?" thing.
Marika

Post by Marika »

Unfortunately, I have to answer the door; I live in an apartment, and it's obvious when I'm home, lol. Well, I suppose I could ignore people, but then I wouldn't be the neighborhood recluse, I'd just be "that rude b***h," lol!

Then again, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing...hehehehe.... :twisted:
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

You could hang a little embossed note on the door that reads, "Madame Marika is not at home to visitors. Please leave your visiting card."
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I live out in the country now, and everyone around here is armed. When I lived in Maryland I just didn't answer the door, even if they knew I was home. I don't answer the phone either, and I detest cell phones. If I don't answer my home phone, why in the hell would I want to talk in the car? The USPS is in trouble, so buy a stamp and send a letter. I check my email at least once a day. Even my mother contacts me that way.
Marika

Post by Marika »

LOL Barry! I'll never show up in your neck o' the woods!

I found a solution to the feral children, anyway-I just put the puppies in the yard, with a bunch of toys. The kids bee-line for the dogs, instead of my front door. This works for me, even though my dogs are now exhausted.

The feral adults, on the other hand, are still a problem. Apparently they think because I work from home, I should always be available to entertain them. :roll:
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

An exhausted dog is a happy dog! :) That goes for kids too.

Working from home is definitely a challenge when it comes to visitors/callers. I have been working hard to train everyone to only contact me during certain hours or send me email instead of calling. It's been an uphill battle. People are so much harder to train than dogs :) Especially mothers! No, I have to admit that my mother has been very supportive of my at-home work and only emails me during my business hours. For a 75-year old she is very computer and Internet-savvy. And then I got her watching Netflix online so she is distracted most of the time, heh.