2600 words

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

CRDonovan

Re: 2600 words

Post by CRDonovan »

[quote="4rumid"]What's interesting is the category it's under is "Relationships." Hmm. :wink:[/quote]

Must be working under the theory that you aren't likely to spend much time shipping strangers around. ; )
EricScott

Post by EricScott »

I chuckled too when I saw that (no disrespect to the author; I'm sure it's a fine article). Some of the phrases that appear on the article search list can be amusing too.
ecdoran

Post by ecdoran »

4rumid wrote:What's interesting is the category it's under is "Relationships." Hmm. :wink:
Lol! I'd love to read the article in question... just to see if it focused on legally shipping human remains. Perhaps there is a 3000 word sequel in there somewhere. Shipping Remains, The Untold Story.
4rumid

Post by 4rumid »

Or maybe it's in a series of articles called "Alternatives to Divorce."
ecdoran

Post by ecdoran »

4rumid wrote:Or maybe it's in a series of articles called "Alternatives to Divorce."
ZING!
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

The deed is done. One of the whoppers has been submitted, pared down a wee bit from 1600 words.

The original version was 313 words and one of the problems was that the examples were too narrowly focused. They did not appeal to a broad enough audience. It went from 313 to 1600 words, now it's 1400+ words and loaded with examples. Ed won't even recognize it from the original. Maybe he shouldn't. It's so far removed from the original that you couldn't even call it a rewrite.

Still sitting on the 2600 word whopper.
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

Reducing word count is so painfully difficult. Not sure why that is.

Had another thought over the weekend on word length. For CC articles, I think what you allow yourself to write depends on why you write for CC. If you are flexing your writerly muscles and earning a little extra income, then you can allow yourself latitude in what you submit. But clearly, if you need to make a certain income here, it would be wise to consider what sells most readily: shorter articles in the 30 to 60 dollar range seem to be the way to go.
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Still working on what sells :-)

Sold one and then came out with something similar in hopes of another sale, nope.

Sold a different kid then came out with something I thought could follow, but nope.

A third one I just KNEW would lead to several more on the same topic but.... nope.

So for the moment, my goal is variety of topics, lengths and prices. I have faith that the steady income will come later. Sales have a way of surprising. As a shareware author, the games I wrote that I knew would be hot, were lukewarm. And the game I threw out there as a spin off of something else, it took off and never stopped. The one game I didn't think had a chance in Hades of selling because everybody had done it, and some were GIVING it away, that's the one that flew the highest. You just never know.
EricScott

Post by EricScott »

Sharion, have you thought about developing a CC shareware game? Maybe the player can control a tiny Ed. Words fall from the sky and Ed needs to shoot any typos before they reach earth. :D
ecdoran

Post by ecdoran »

EricScott wrote:Sharion, have you thought about developing a CC shareware game? Maybe the player can control a tiny Ed. Words fall from the sky and Ed needs to shoot any typos before they reach earth. :D
I approve this message. There could also be a bonus round where players need to pick out the grammatically correct sentence before the buyer character walks away. The more sets of sentences you get through, the more money you make!
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Oh lordy, that would be a hoot!

I can see Ed buried under a mound of broken words, with folks dropping more on him/her from on high. How does Ed keep up? I do wonder!
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

You'd need some article thieves in there somewhere too. Little people in striped shirts and masks trying to grab the articles once approved. I'd like a giant sledgehammer to bop them with, please :twisted:
4rumid

Post by 4rumid »

And a giant monster that eats people who go off topic in the forums . . . ! :mrgreen:

Just kidding, of course, but I'd like to go back for a moment to the article-length question. I'm working on what was supposed to be a quick, easy article that I figured would end up being about 400 words. I've been trying to write shorter articles, and I thought this one was a great candidate. But it's now at 800+. I can keep it about where it is, but it could also be shortened by taking out extra examples, etc. It's a very non-esoteric, non-technical topic (that I've since discovered has been covered a lot on the internet, but hey, nobody's read my take on it yet). Meaning, for example, that all the examples aren't necessary to understand the concepts, but they add a little flavor.

So my question is, is it more likely to sell at a shorter length? Is that answerable? Is the average buyer looking for 300-400-word articles, or do 700-800-word articles sell just as well (on the same topics)?

Or . . . would it be acceptable to submit the longer article, and include a note in the short summary saying, "A 400-word version of this article is available. Contact author"? (I realize there are logistical issues involved with making the switch, but assuming those can be taken care of.)
ecdoran

Post by ecdoran »

This is more work for you, I know, but maybe the best thing to do would be to submit a 400 word article and the 800 word article about the same topic -- but obviously different enough to be considered two different articles. Price them each comparably, word for word. See which one sells, and then you may have your answer :)

As for me, I've come to the decision that there is no cohesion in what 'the customer wants.' I write things that, based upon passed sales, should sell and they just sit there. Other things sell quickly for no rhyme or reason. I think this is why authors spend so much time trying to figure out what customers want. There's no obvious pattern. From my own sales, at least, there isn't even a general price-range that customers are interested in. I hear articles priced 30-65 dollars sell (at least according to several posts throughout the forum), but even that isn't hard and fast. Overpriced and underpriced articles sell. And articles priced to sell just sit there. I can't figure it out!

7am is clearly not the time to be figuring this out and I obviously didn't help you any... but I thought I'd help you refocus the topic :D It was either this incoherent ramble or another incoherent ramble about a pixelated ED character in a centipede-like game (I'm a child of the eighties. I make no excuses).
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

I agree with Ecdoran. Turn it into two different versions and see what happens. In some of the writer's challenges, the goal was to write an article and then rewrite it with a totally different spin.

I finally tried that, putting out two articles with the same info presented in two very different ways. Dunno yet what the outcome will be as they just hit the streets this week. They show up side by side so anyone interested in the topic will see both choices.

You've already got the info, so work it both ways. Just make sure they are different from each other, not just a chop chop.