Watching a public request

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Sharion

Watching a public request

Post by Sharion »

I'm watching a particular public request with interest. I submitted one article to it and it didn't fly. So far they haven't bought a single article from anyone. Out of curiosity I went searching to see how many articles appeared publicly that were obviously written for this request and only found a couple so I submitted a second article. I thought public requests would be deluged with submissions.
Ed

Re: Watching a public request

Post by Ed »

Most are, and this trend is only seeing an increase. (For the record, I know all about why cats scratch and what you can do to prevent them from shredding your furniture. )

However, sometimes a certain request just doesn't catch the interest of many writers or something wards them off (low offer, lack of purchases from customers, for example). It's always interesting to me to see what requests capture the imagination of writers.
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Geez louise! Ed, you had that one accepted in record time!

Yes, I was leery of this request myself as they had a zero purchase rating. But as I was writing articles along this line anyway I figured why not try to slant one for him? Happens to be a category that's right up my alley :-) Mine's a little wordier than he was looking for but who knows? If the basic premise suits him, he can always request an edit. Still feeling my way around it all.

You must be an expert on a lot of things by now, LOL! Don't you get bored reading it all? Especially the long ones?
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

I've stopped submitting to the public request I was watching, but I still check to see if he ever bought anything. It's still sitting at zero and it was posted over three weeks ago. Interesting.

I've submitted something else to a different request, one with a decent purchase rating. At least I know there's a chance that if my article fits and they like the style, maybe it will become a sale. I've been watching that one with excitement.

Mine was probably the first submission to hit them after they posted it. I happened to be online at the time and couldn't believe the subject, something I knew inside out. My fingers just flew. I priced it below my norm in an attempt to fit the request but no bite so far.

The mind goes round and round. Maybe they want to wait for choices to pick from. Maybe being a newbie here with only one sale to boast is a put off. Maybe not putting the full article in the summary is a put off. If the timing had been different I might have put the full enchilada in and if they didn't buy it and it went public, change it to the 1/3 summary as I've been doing. It would have gone public at a time where I wouldn't be able to fix it for two days and I don't have a comfort level with the full article in the summary. I know it's easier to sell that way. (I've read the many discussions here :-)

Studied the profiles of several experts to see if they were using full articles or excerpts only, and to get an idea of price points. Discovered that there are many roads to success and everyone followed their own.

In the meantime, waiting with baited breath to see if it turns into a sale. Do sales happen on weekends? LOL!
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Yup sales happen on the weekends here. Check articles sold tab.

I'm not having luck with the public requests so far. If anyone wants to buy articles on The Year of Trees or Shrimp just check my library 8) Still they were good practice and someday will sell.
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

I remember the requests about shrimp. Pretty specific, they were! If you've got good keywords and a tropical fish, aquarium, or similar buyer come along, you're sitting pretty :-) We've actually had shrimp in our home aquarium before. Hey, that's just reminded me of a wild tale (true one) for my blog! Don't think it would fly as an article here but... hmmmm.... if written right... (there go the wheels)...

I need to get this down for writing non-business articles. My biggest weakness here.