Heavy duty research involved

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Sharion

Heavy duty research involved

Post by Sharion »

I'm working on an idea that needed a bit of research. So far I've put in 8 hours of research unexpectedly. Aaarrrgghh! I'm devising a plan to turn the end result into several small pieces rather than one big one. I believe the pieces will be interesting fun facts but oh, the tedious 8 hours of research and I'm still only halfway thru compiling the info. Ah well, it happens. I'm attached to this particular idea so there's not much to do but plow on through it.
Volante

Re: Heavy duty research involved

Post by Volante »

Keeep working on it! :) It'll pay eventually heh.
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Sometimes the research is interesting in itself. I do like your idea of making the article into several articles, so it can pay for the research time. It is fun to be able to write articles on topics that interest you enough to do so much research. I wish you luck with your articles.

Kind regards,

Hayley
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Thank you, Hayley :-)

I believe if I tried to turn this into a single loooong article the fun facts would become boring. But in smaller pieces they definitely have interest potential. It sure sucked me in, LOL!

I came up with a way of grouping the facts together to target various interest groups. Because some of the facts may show up in more than one article I will likely offer usage rights only.

Once I've got all the facts in order the biggest challenge will be coming up with a catchy title for each grouping.

A public request of a different sort pulled me away from the research so I'm flip flopping. From various threads I gathered that if you can fulfill a public request then your odds of sales increase. However, it's almost easier to just keep following the flow with the thought: If I write it they will come.

Interesting though to see which articles of mine are getting the most views. Not what I would have expected.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Sahrion, what's your CC pen name? I'd like to see your articles :)
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Will email it to you. Not sure yet whether to comingle with the forums. In other business venues I partake in it is not wise so I'd ruther take my time with that step :-)
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I don't understand the secrecy, but okay...

Don't get me wrong. I get having a pen name and all, but not sure why there needs to be a separation here in the forum. From a tech standpoint, I understand that these are two separate systems requiring separate registrations, but I don't understand the need to have two different names within the CC community.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

I ended up with a forum name and a real author name Cameron Rogers on CC. You can find me all over the net under my JadeDragon name, but I figure publishers would like a real person name for bylines.
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Celeste,

I'm also in the business of designing t-shirts. Many of the designers keep their forum presence separate because we often share how sales are going and so forth. There are ongoing threads on what kind of day/week/month you are having saleswise and sometimes we get into some pretty detailed discussions.

Unfortunately if you post that you're doing really well or you just released a design that is selling like hotcakes, the copycats (and sometimes actual full on design thieves) go searching for whatever designs you're talking about (or your entire design philosophy) and start peeling off copies or one offs. Next thing you know, the thing that was profitable for you isn't any more because of those thieves and you are chasing them all over the internet.

Some of the more prominent designers got hit pretty hard by eBay thieves who stole their designs pixel by pixel and opened stores on eBay with those designs at rock bottom prices. So in a Google search you see the same designs side by side and the original designer is usually lower down the totem pole. Similar things happen here or so I've read in the forums.

So until I'm more familiar with everything and everyone here it seemed prudent to be cautious. I'm actually pretty prominent on quite a few business related internet forums :-)

Sharion
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Content thieves are sucky for sure.
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Oh lordy, don't I know!

I've created a number of shareware games as well and shareware is another area where you battle pirates. Although with shareware you have a better chance of preventing it by how you write your code. So the whole concept of pirates is an issue I've battled for many years.

One thing that's proven is that pirates cost us money. I don't know if they even realize how hard we work or that they are hurting someone. Or they just don't care?