Year in Review

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Elizabeth Ann West

Year in Review

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

Maybe it's just because I feel out of touch, but I have definitely lurked on the forums here and I haven't seen as much conversation as I have in the past. So I thought I would start a thread, "Year in Review" where we can all share briefly what's happened this year, either professionally, personally, or both.
For me:
Personally
I have a brand new baby girl, she's 6 months old and a handful (catelynn.eawestwriting.com). She loves to push buttons on Mommy's laptop. Our family is doing really well, in that you're a little afraid to say everything is going well because then it might change kind of way. My husband and I are preparing to separate from the Navy in 18 months. We're really excited about where opportunity will take us after that. My stepson will be living with us next school year, and my baby sister just got married to a man she has been dating two years, and met because he worked for my husband on the submarine.

Professionally
Well, it was tough to do my year end financials and see I made half what I made last year. But, then I realized I also took a good 3-4 months off completely, and even now with Catelynn at the "play with me Mommy" stage I happily sacrifice grammar for more giggles. I have kept one long time client who I mainly provide editing services for, all my other writing is strictly freelance. However, I did recently find out my very first article I ever wrote, and it's over on AC, is featured in a listing of the Top 100 resources for military wives (I'm #17). I was wondering why all of a sudden that article was getting 200-400 hits a day sometimes. That makes me feel better than any of the money I've made over the last 2 years writing, because I primarily write to help people. I am also fiddling with a piece of fiction. I have a great storyline fleshed out, and some decent characters, it's just finding the time and energy to put pen to paper. Err, fingers to keyboard. It's a very tough personal challenge because with my crippling perfectionism, I have a hard time with long projects. Hopefully, it will see the light of day :)

So that was 2009 for me. 2010 I forsee a lot of "Catelynn, No." "Catelynn, that's not yours." etc. and a good deal of 5th grade homework. I hope to write more, but just find it so tough to really dedicate time to improving my skills, so I'm just maintaining. And you never know, with some of the really crappy fiction I've read lately (The Marked Series comes to mind), I may just have a shot at getting my chick lit from the guy's point of view published.
CRDonovan

Re: Year in Review

Post by CRDonovan »

Hey Elizabeth, Congratulations on your new little one. Enjoy every moment with Catelynn.
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi Elizabeth and everyone,

What a great idea to review the year. Catelynn sure is cute!

Personal:
I've been struggling with a lot of ill-health this year, and my writing has suffered. I don't have as much time as I would like for writing, but it's been ok. I did spend one whole month on the sofa not doing anything but writhing in agony and then recovering from an operation, but I am ok now. I have also struggled with depression, but that's a longer term issue. Motivation is difficult to maintain sometimes, so I didn't reach all of my personal goals for the year. I am enjoying my marriage and get out on my boat as often as I can.

Professional:
Although I have been writing a bit less lately, I have started a website (http://www.expandingcreations.com), a free newsletter for writers, and finished my ebook "Sales Success on Constant Content". I've been interviewing quite a few of the authors here for my newsletter, so it has been extremely interesting discovering more about the other authors here. Bonnie's (beconrad) interview was published last week, and Emma's (eekane) interview will be published this week. Thanks to everyone who has replied to my request for the interviews! I hope you have signed up for the newsletter and am enjoying discovering the tips from other authors as much as I am! I have also picked up a couple of long term private requestors through CC, so it has been a terrific year professionally. I sold articles here every month, even when I was sick, so I definitely can't complain about CC sales.

So, let's hope 2010 is as good on a professional level, but is better for my health!

Kind regards,

Hayley
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Hi Elizabeth,

I agree, it has been a little quiet on the forums lately! I really enjoyed reading about your past year. Our online community here is wonderful and supportive, but we miss out on a lot of the day-to-day doings that people share in real-life communities. I love to be reminded that although I may never meet most of you, you are all real people with interesting lives.

Congrats on being #17. That must feel terrific to know that so many people are getting real value out of your words.

I just checked out the photos of Catelynn. She is BEAUTIFUL! :)

Okay here's me.

Personally:
In January, I got married to my best friend: a Buddhist monk who gave back his vows so we could be together (something which I had fantasized about but that I thought would never happen). Shortly afterward I had surgery to repair a radial nerve that had been torn when I was hit by a car the previous year. The surgery was successful, and about a month ago I saw the first flickers of independent movement in my fingers and wrist. My husband and I lived in India and Nepal for several months, are currently in Boulder, Colorado, and are headed to Australia on Christmas Eve.

Professionally:
I was fired from my soul-killing office job while on medical leave. I found CC in May, and have been steadily building up my portfolio and increasing my supplemental income each month. I now have two private clients who need work on a regular basis. I am a lot more confident as a writer and have learned some extremely useful skills from writers here at CC.

In 2010, I am looking forward to some fun new writing projects--I have a few blog ideas as well as a fiction story that floats around in the back of my head. I am excited about getting to know Australia and forming connections with people.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

OMG! Antonia, you married a Buddist monk that gave up his vows to marry you and then lived in India and Nepal? Heavy sigh. . .

And here I thought you were in Nepal to climb Mt. Everest and in Boulder because of the Rockies. When is your romance novel coming out? What a cool romance!

Elizabeth, your daughter's adorable. Love the pengiun and turkey costumes :)

Personally:
Me, personally, nothing exciting to report. Next year, maybe when my 3-year-old *hopefully* figures out this whole potty business. My husband was spared the ax during a major round of layoffs earlier which is good because he declined a very attractive early retirement incentive and gambled that he'd make the cut. His boss took the package and hasn't found a job, not even a nibble, since then (about 8 months ago). His job seems stable for now.

Professionally:
Another good year. I have great steady clients and a few new ones that keep me busy. Despite the recession, my earnings are about the same as last year's. Depending on if a certain check from a certain high-paying client arrives in December, I may top last year's total pay though I think it's going to be close to equal when it's all said and done. Not bad in this economy and an influx of competition from out-of-work journalists.

Like Hayley, I wrote an eBook about succeeding on CC about a year or so ago (Elizabeth was kind enough to help with editing) and updated it this November. I also updated my Web site and am busy working on some new marketing ideas (January's challenge, anyone?). I have a couple of ideas that are simmering and can't wait to get started.

Fun fact: In 2009 (to date), I have written about 1 million words. So, yeah, busy and productive year this year. I'm actually looking forward to some down time.
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

I have learned so much from Celeste over the years. :) I still think my favorite piece of advice from her was on production, to really make sales, concentrate more on keeping or making a certain inventory level each "work period" and the sales will follow at a predictable percentage. So for me I realized if I wrote 10 articles, I could reasonably expect about 3-4 of them to sell with in 1 month, at least 5-7 of them within 3 months, and by 6 months from their C-C birth date, 8 of the articles from the original 10 would be sold. Sure, this fluctuated a bit, but it was a just a general guideline when I was actually looking to bring in money first and foremost. Besides, the idea is to keep adding to the inventory.

And Celeste, Catelynn spends HOURS on the play gym, it's her favorite thing. Antonia, Celeste stole my line about a romance novel. But I'm happy you are happy, being married to your best friend is fun (I know :) ). Thank you all for the beautiful baby comments. I do agree, but I'm a bit biased. Also, if anyone wants a good laugh, google "The Decade According to 9 Year Olds" it is a hilarious video, I just love that part when they play a modem sound for the kids and they look at the interviewer like "what was that?" then when it's explained, one of them raises his eyebrow and succinctly states "My computer doesn't make that noise, ever." :) Also the kid who's biggest fear is Bloody Mary, but he says when he told his Mom, she said not to worry, it's just a drink!

Hayley, way to go on the ebook, and the newsletter site. I keep meaning to revise my writing website, as it is from when I FIRST began as a writer.
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

Year in review: a pretty terrible year here, on the personal front. And the personal has pretty much knocked the professional stuffing out of me. This year my husband had cancer, and? he died last winter. I have spent the last 10 months trying to get it together and create some normalcy for my son. So, on a personal level, I guess I'd say things are looking up. I refuse to believe I could have another year more difficult than this one was any time soon. And on a professional level, I am back at work - and that actually feels pretty good.
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi CR,

I am sure you have all our sympathies for such a tough year. No one wants to lose a partner to cancer and your son is grieving too. I admire you more when I realise that all of your posts on the forum have been positive - thanking people for the jokes that brighten our day, for example.

Time may never heal your grief completely, but you can move forward into normalcy and feel joy again too.

It is very good to have you back professionally. I am sure you will enjoy the normalcy of working again. May 2010 be a year of professional and personal blessings for you and your son!

Kind regards,

Hayley
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Oh CR, that is heart breaking.
eek

Post by eek »

Wow. This forum rarely ventures on the personal level, so it's humbling to see the obstacles that some of you wonderful writers have had to overcome. C.R., I hope you and your son will continue to find ways to feel hopeful and positive about your future.

Personal: One year ago our home was a mess, in the middle of a major renovation, and we were sleeping in a bedroom with horrible, crumbling walls which some former resident named Tory decided were so far gone that graffiti wouldn't hurt. I had a few horrifying encounters with snakes, three of which were indoors, but after I successfully removed a snake from my bedroom (and my nerves recovered), well, I felt like I could do anything. It was a non-venomous baby rat snake, but still. So now that our bedroom has smooth, secure walls and is splashed and festooned with various shades of white, and the house is somewhat complete and much less like an accident waiting to happen, well - it's a very spirit-lifting change, to say the least. Though we've had our share of normal-life financial struggles this year, we're holding our heads above water. Whenever something goes wrong - a flat tire, a crashed computer (just happened) - Evan's standby comment is "it's nothing but a thing." And by that he means it's just stuff, it's just life; we have each other and our kids, and that's a valuable gift to be grateful for every day.

Professional: The beginning of the year was slow, but happily I picked up a few private request clients with regular content needs around the middle of the year. I definitely could step up my article output in 2010; in 2009 I submitted an average of only 9 per month. I'm working on a plan to make 20 articles/month the minimum. The article I'm proudest of from the past year was a first-person piece about Evan's knife collection and the economy: http://www.stretcher.com/stories/09/09jul20e.cfm It wasn't sold through CC, I was just happy with the way it turned out. On the fiction front, I began sketching out a cozy mystery set in Cyprus. I'm thinking about looking around for a writer's group to give me some extra motivation and support in that area.

I'm really grateful for all you. Thanks for sharing a little bit of your lives, hopes & dreams.
Happy Holidays,
Emma
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

I love to find out about everyone here. I see your names and read your motivational, educational, and inspiring comments every day, but it is so good to be able to put real people behind the names.

Personal:
This year started out very difficult financially. I finally ran out of my savings from selling my California home four years ago before I moved to New Mexico and I hadn't found any work since. My sona nd adughter-in-law were paying me to watch my graddaughters after school but whne my son lost his job, that ended. By June I was living on fumes, two to three months behind on all my bills with the interest on my credit card more than I could afford. I stripped down all the expenses I could and still it was a struggle (of course I couldn't give up my Internet!). My mother, a retired schoolteacher, started sending me sme money each moth just to buy groceries. I have never been so destitute. Still, I had this crazy idea that something would come along to save me - it's just always worked out that way for me for some reason - and I was reight! I joined CC in July and the rest is history :) Writing web content has made me self-sufficient (even if at the subsistence level) and a few weeks ago, Social Security Disability sent me some unexpected back pay and I was able to wipe out my credit card debt. I can now sleep easier at night, knowing I won't lose my house or have to give up my doggies.

Professional:

Hooray for Constant Content! Not just becuase I can make money here but I've met all you wonderful writers who keep me going! Some of you have also introduced me to other writing sites thtat help me make my pleasantly relaxed and entertaining living from home. Working from home is really my only option since I can't drive (due to my low vision) and live waaaaay out in the country where there is no public transportation. I am hoping to find some regular clients so I am not so dependent on market whims. If any of you can help me out with ideas on how to market my writing skills, I'd be much obliged. I am just happy to be able to stay snug at home and enjoy my dogs and my graddaughters.

I'm sending good thoughts full of hope and promise to all of you for the holidays and throughout 2010. I can't believe it's already been a decade since Y2K!
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

Thanks for kind thoughts, Hayley, Celeste and eek. Eek, WickedCompany is a writers forum geared to mystery writers. Its founder DL Browne, is a super person, extremely witty, and her hubby Kevin Smith acts as the prickly moderator. Some of the talk goes round and round but there's lots of good tips about agents, synopsis and self motivation etc - and just a lot of fiction oriented comraderie and support. Additionally, you might want to check out DorothyL, a very active listserv that is devoted to the mystery genre. Its members are a mix of fans, booksellers, writers, and various folks in the publishing world, and pretty anything written in this genre is examined and discussed at length and argued about on this list.

That said, Happy Holidays to you all. The community here is terrific - it's what really set CC apart from the rest.
eek

Post by eek »

Ooh, thanks so much for that, CR! Do you dabble in mystery writing yourself? Any favorite authors?
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

Hi eek, yes I did dabble in writing a mystery. Was kind of fun, an interesting process, and felt like climbing a mountain that kept growing as I scaled it. I love working on fiction, but it really doesn't pay the bills. Also love short stories. Fun planning out a novel, how is that going for you? Cyprus sounds interesting - how'd you choose it?

Favorite authors? Oh god yes. In mysteries I like character driven, clever, maybe suspenseful, so some of my favorite writers are Reginald Hill, Laurie King, Dennis Lehane, Robert Crais. And lots of other really interesting writers too, especially in the last 15 years - the field has burgeoned. Tana French is really good, Susan Hill, David Liss -; and classics like Patricia Highsmith - the Ripley series is terrific. And I'm just rereading Kate Ross's Julian Kestral novels, sadly only four of them because she died young.

BTW on the DorothyL listserv right now - for the rest of December then again after the holidays many of the members are listing their favorite reads of the year. It's an excellent time to develop a reading list.
eek

Post by eek »

Hi C.R., thanks for sharing some of your favorites. Planning a mystery is fun, though challenging, and for now I'm looking at it as an exercise to flex my writing muscles, so to speak. I'm sure I'll pull a muscle along the way, though - Agatha Christie made it look so easy. I chose Cyprus because we lived there for several years - long enough to know a bit and be dangerously clueless. But it's ripe for a mystery; the only mysteries I found in the library based in Cyprus were both on the northern (Turkish) side. We lived on the Greek-Cypriot portion. I haven't worked on it seriously for a few months, because yes, paying work does take priority.