A Coyote Ate My Cat

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Celeste Stewart

Re: A Coyote Ate My Cat

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Thanks to everyone for all the support and well wishes - it really helped make a sucky day better. On some level, I wasn't as emotionally attached to Priscilla as I have been to other pets, mainly because each day seemed to be a bonus day for this cat (since she'd likely be put to sleep due to her "feral" status). But we're all on bonus time regardless and relationships grow and I realize that despite my resistance, I was indeed emotionally attached. I used to call her my "wild" cat, but really she did become a part of our family and we're all sad here. It's interesting because both my husband and I are allergic to cats so cat ownership has never been an option. He's allergic to long hairs and I'm allergic to short hairs (generally speaking). For over 8 years, neither of us had a problem with this girl, though I still can't enter the home of a friend who has Siamese cats. Priscilla was a beautiful long-haired gray and white cat, possibly one of the prettiest I've ever seen but then that's my emotional side kicking in. Plus, neither of us are what you'd call "cat people." We're "dog people" for sure. Life has a way of changing those things though and I'm glad she adopted us.

OK, enough grief therapy for one day. Thanks for listening though - I appreciate it. Oh, and Emma, I'd totally freak to have a snake loose inside my house! Yikes! When we lived on Guam, we had more snakes than I care to remember. One crawled out of the glove compartment of our car when we were driving. Aack! Maybe that's why I have nightmares about snakes. I try, but I still can't handle them. My daughter loves snakes (and sharks) so I'm a bit concerned about our next pet.
kianakelly

Post by kianakelly »

Celeste:

When I saw this subject line, I skipped it at first because I thought it must refer to some special hidden Constant-Content secret society or something...not a "real" coyote and a "real" cat...

In any case (I lurk here way too often...this is such a kind forum!) I decided to see what it was all about this morning...

Wow, Celeste. That is brutal. I'm so sorry for you. Take care, please. What a loving thing to have taken in this cat and gotten close to her. Beautiful. And, by the way, I love the name. It adds so much somehow, knowing her name.

I just woke up and haven't had my coffee yet...

Quick: I'm originally from southern California but am now in British Columbia. I have often commented on how much more wildlife I saw in La Canada growing up compared to where I live now. I can remember the coyotes howling and seeing them after dark or in the early morning. It makes me shudder still because they were always there in the background, and it was always a possibility that my cat was next... Again, I'm sorry for your loss.
eek

Post by eek »

A snake crawling out of a glove compartment. Whoa. :!: No wonder you're scarred. I certainly freaked, every single time.

Glad to hear we helped you make it through a bad day.
(Side note - We still can't find our fave kitten, Moxie. I'm beginning to panic.) :(
emma
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Speaking of snakes...when my son was about 10 he got a snake as a pet. We called it Houdini becuase it managed to escape its tank quite frequently. One day when he was at school, I was sitting at my deesk writing (of course!) when out of the corner of my eye, I saw something slithering across the floor near my feet. I jumped up and tried to find the bugger but it was firmly ensconced under my desk. I didn't know what else to do so I called the school and told them to send my son home. "Tell him Houdini's under my desk and I need him to come home and get him out!"

I bet the receptionist thought I was a loon.

Debbi
eek

Post by eek »

Funny, Debbi! You're a brave woman to allow your son to enjoy his pet snake. When my daughter asked for a corn snake I said no way.
I've heard (from my brother, who used to work in a pet store) that many pet snake owners have reported waking up to the escaped snake curled up in their beds - most likely because those sleeping bodies were a great source of heat. Ech.
Celeste Stewart

I hope Moxie's okay.
eek

Post by eek »

Thanks, Celeste. But the mama kitty came home today without her. I was still holding out hope that she took the kittens on one of her extended hunting expeditions. My husband's first thought was that someone snatched her, but it's more likely (out here) that a coyote, dog, hawk, or even badger got her. I feel a little sick with dread... I've checked everywhere I can think of. As soon as my husband and the kids get home this afternoon we're going to search the property.
Celeste Stewart

When Priscilla disappeared for her six month absence my husband was really sweet and kept reassuring me that some other family must've picked her up and adopted her because she was so cute. I kept thinking, "That's sweet honey, but a coyote probably got her." When she returned, he said, "See I told you she'd be fine."
eek

Post by eek »

Wow, she came back after 6 months. That's very remarkable, and reassuring. Our neighbor's indoor cat wandered over here a few months ago and couldn't find her way back home until we put up a sign in the yard and her owners gladly claimed her, so I'm hoping Moxie is in a similar, safe situation.
westernangel

Post by westernangel »

Hi Celeste,
Just a short note to say I'm sorry about what happened to Priscilla. I just read your post. Take care.
Angie
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

Poor kitty. Sorry Celeste. My dog and I heard coyotes howling tonight so we cut our walk short. I've lost two cats to predators - one to a fisher cat and one to an owl. Now my two kitties are inside only animals. I try to remember that the wild predators are not bad guys. As I explain to my dog, no one gives them their dinner in a bowl. Still, it is very sad to lose one of your friends.
Amy W

Post by Amy W »

I'm so sorry about Priscilla, Celeste.

And Emma - I too hope that Moxie is okay. I always thought that cats were like teenagers, where you just can't tell them what to do, because they will never listen. All cats have a mind of their own. Dogs, on the other hand, are like toddlers - very needy. Here' s hoping Moxie's just going through a phase, and she'll come home soon.

And it sounds like you all live in the wild! Never mind coyotes, I'm afraid of being attacked by raccoons!
Phil

Post by Phil »

I was once told that Dogs have owners while Cats have staff...
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Phil -- haha :lol:

Though my weenie dog Hansel might disagree. He seems to think I was put on this earth to feed him and scratch his belly non-stop. He never listens like my other two dogs, just goes where he wants when he wants. Hmm, he also climbs onto the windowsill and sleeps in the sunshine........maybe he has a species identiy disorder?

Debbi
eek

Post by eek »

Based on past experience, I'd have to agree with Phil re. cats and their "staff". Our cats act more like dogs, though they're not quite as needy. They follow us around everywhere, hang out with us wherever we're working outside, roll at our feet, and let us scratch their tummies.

Thanks for your concern, Amy. We performed a thorough search of the property yesterday and the nearby roads, but found no sign of Moxie. I haven't phoned the neighborhood yet, but we're all facing the possibility that the one kitty we wanted to keep, even if we found loving homes for the others, may not return. :cry: I've resisted writing a eulogy so far, but my hopes are pretty low.

I'll let y'all know if Moxie finds her way home.
Emma