Catelynn Samantha West

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Elizabeth Ann West

Catelynn Samantha West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

Hi all! :)

So, I am the proudest new Momma of a gorgeous little girl. I gave birth Tuesday, June 23 at 1:30 PM to Catelynn Samantha West. She was 8 pounds, 5 ounces, and 20.5 inches long. She is a VERY healthy little girl. I had some complications during the very long labor and I am just so thankful both of us came out okay. I went into labor 9 AM on Monday, finally going to the hospital at midnight because the contractions were unbearable and 4-5 minutes apart. They broke my water at 2 AM and I had my first epidural. It worked for about an hour, then the left side quit working. They added more medicine, tried adjusting it and at 4:30 AM gave me a new one. At that point I was 4 cm. I couldn't feel anything from my waist down, it was wonderful. BUT. Even with max pitocin running at 7:30 AM I was only 6 cm, and my doctor was concerned I was falling further behind the 1 cm/hour progression rate. Also, my blood pressure since the very beginning was sky high, 200/110 and remained 180-170/95-105. Eventually, they started magnesium, which ugh, was awful.

To make matters worse, at 8:30 AM my second epidural began to fail, right side first. And I was still stalled. Finally, by 11:30 AM i jumped up to 8 cm, but 3+ hours of pitocin contractions with NO anesthesia after 24 hours of labor, I was exhausted. I was beginning to hallucinate, and seriously worried I was going to go into shock. It old my doctor I needed a c-section. I was cemented in my decision when through all this my little one's heart beat remained steady 130-160, and was now dipping lower and lower with each contraction, 120..110.. high 90s. I have no recollection really of 11:30-1:00 until they took me to the OR. On my way I heard one doctor say "Why are we doing this, she's at 8 cm (3 hours I might add)?" and my doctor said "She doesn't even want to try." !!!! Yeah, that is why MEN do not have babies. I think I tried very very hard to have a vaginal birth. Turns out, her head measured 13.5 cm, so yeah, can't say vaginal was going to work either.

But she came out with a 9 Apgar, perfectly healthy. I lost alot of blood and my blood pressure was still an issue, but thankfully I managed to get discharged Friday. For pictures, visit http://catelynn.eawestwriting.com/
Lysis

Re: Catelynn Samantha West

Post by Lysis »

Grats girly! I love that name too!
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Congratulations! Wonderful news. I love the name. My sister is also called Catelynn but hers is spelt Caitlin. Very pretty. I'm glad you are ok. Enjoy this precious time bonding with your new daughter.

Kind regards,

Hayley
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

She's beautiful and well worth all those 24+ hours of labor (oh my! I'm sure you're physically beat!)! Enjoy these upcoming days and make sure to take care of yourself, too. So glad you both are doing well.
JD

Post by JD »

Congratulations!!!

Take care.

Jane
jak

Post by jak »

Well done, you. Hope you have plenty of help so you can enjoy your beautiful baby while you recover.
eek

Post by eek »

Congratulations, new Mommy Elizabeth! Baby Catelynn is beautiful. You truly worked your little heart out for her. Glad to hear you are both okay. Mean, unfeeling doctors! Let them try the same, with all those nasty drugs and a body that won't cooperate - as if a woman has control over the contractions...
Best wishes!
Emma
topdycke

Post by topdycke »

Congratulations! She's adorable. Why do new babies always make me cry? *sniff sniff*

T
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Congratulations!Enjoy these moments! WG
libby

Post by libby »

I'm so happy for you both. I had a similar delivery. My husband said my face was purple! You'll both be in my prayers tonight.
JKALLEN

Post by JKALLEN »

Hi Elizabeth,

Brenna was delivered on the 25th...not quite as interesting a story as yours I'm afraid. We were scheduled and out she came! I'll try to post a pic on my thread...

Hope you're feeling up and about! I hate recovering from a c section, I can never sit as still as my body would like me to. In fact, I insisted on being discharged after only 2 days. Came home and made dinner that night lol.

Jenn
Amy W

Post by Amy W »

Congratulations, Elizabeth! She is too cute for words! And look on the bright side - when she's a teenager, and she starts talking back to you and breaking her curfew, you can tell her all about the pain she put you through during labour!