Does anyone use Bright Hub?

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

evie

Does anyone use Bright Hub?

Post by evie »

Hi everyone,

I'm outside of the U.S. so I can't use a lot of other article sites like AC or (I think) e-how. I've not heard great things about Helium either. Has anyone written for Bright Hub at all? They seem to pay $10 for each accepted article, but I registered and had a look at the site and man is it confusing. You have to do a lot of keyword and SEO stuff too though they only require pretty short articles (400 - 600 words).

I'm considering it as CC is a little patchy - I haven't sold anything in around 10 days which is a bit demoralising, and my regular work as a language teacher is drying up over these summer months. Looking for something with a bit more guarantee to it. Obviously still going to keep writing and submitting to CC (all the best stuff of course!) as I love it, but it's not making me anything at the moment, though I came away with over $100 last month which I was pleased with.

Any other websites anyone can recommend for peeps outside of the U.S.?

Thanks a lot
Evie
Lysis

Re: Does anyone use Bright Hub?

Post by Lysis »

Hey Evie,

I was accepted by BrightHub. Incidentally, I write for eHow too. :D I haven't heard great things about Helium either. I haven't done anything with BrightHub. You choose 3 topics and the assignments are limited. Plus, I app'd to 3 subjects and the 1 I'm strongest in, the editor hasn't even contacted me after I contacted her. You need to pitch articles and basically get permission from editors to write them. And, these editors give you projects. I got accepted and was like "ooookay, let's start" but there ain't much to write on. I'm new and did nothing with my account, so maybe I'm missing something.

You can try examiner. I'm also a suite101 writer and some of them really like examiner. I'm their Miami Cancer writer. I've only written two articles, so I"m still getting the hang of it. They say the payout is about $10 per 1000pvs.

You can also try demandstudios who owns the pub tools for ehow. demandstudios has similar process as here - you write, they have editors that review your work.

ps..i'm really tired so this post has sucky grammar and i'm too tired to fix it. lol
evie

Post by evie »

Thanks for all the info Lysis!

That's the same as my experience with Bright Hub so far. I got accepted, and their 'personal finance' woman sends these generic (bossy) emails out. I sent her one back last night and I got a bit of a rude and unhelpful response so not sure I'm going to bother.

I might be wrong, but I think demand studios is U.S. only, and I'm not particularly interested in revenue share schemes like examiner sounds like, as I'd like some cash now! Not in two years :)

Sigh it really does look like CC is the only truly decent website out there for U.K. writers!

Evie
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

CC's the only decent site for all writers :) I don't know if you write for the public requests or not, but there are a few decent ones right now.
evie

Post by evie »

Hi Celeste

I wrote for two requests last week, got the articles out and approved super quick, only to discover that the requests had gone, with apparently the requester not buying anything! Very irritating, especially as these were shorter 'blog' style pieces which don't tend to sell as well for me in the general pool, or for as much money.

So feeling a little disillusioned with requests right now. I don't usually enjoy writing them as much and have had limited success. There do look to be some great ones though at the moment like you say: that customer who's paying very well for reviews of presidents, for example. This isn't anywhere near my field however so going to leave it to those in the know!

Gonna keep pushing on :). It's tough to stay motivated to write without the sales though, every little sale always encourages me to push and write another couple.

Evie
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

My first sale was a request, but yeah I've had some rejected and others don't take anything. Ah well. I've been taking articles from requests that I think will sell if rejected. Otherwise, I don't bother. I wanted to write on the president's one, because it sounded fun, but I didn't have time.
shamrockcon

Post by shamrockcon »

I was accepted to write for them on the Green Living channel. I don't like Bright Hub for three reasons:

1. They are very strict on what they will accept. There are certain topics that are allowed and writers can only write so many articles per month because the article slots fill up. So if you can't claim something quickly then you are out of luck.

2. Their ranking isn't great so your adsense revenues aren't great either. I have made alot more money on ehow (though I know you cant sign up), because they have a really good ranking with search engines.

3. They require a W9 form before you can receive payment, though they don't make that very clear when you sign up. Faxing an online company my social security number when I've only made $30 is not really my cup of tea.

Try it. Maybe you will like it. I don't really write for them anymore but if you don't have many options, you should definitely apply!
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

Just an aside, but anyone required to fill out a W9 form, as a freelancer you can request a EIN from the IRS and protect your personal SSN. I did this when I registered my writing business, which was free to do in my state, and I don't have to worry about sales tax since our "deliverables" are considered intellectual property/service.
bulletbutter

Post by bulletbutter »

I currently write for BrightHub and can say that they do in fact pay. As far as all this talk about them giving you topics to write about and stuff filling up quickly, I guess it all depends on the channel you are writing for. The editor in charge of one of the channels I write for only complains that there isn't enough people writing stuff. Which is great for me since I can take up 2-5 times the amount they would normal allow a single writer simply so the editor can meet the quota for the month. This month I may very well pull out $100.

A few tips if you are a member:
1. It's listed that you can only sign up for 3 different channels (or topics). Initially that is true, but after a few days go by you can start applying to write for as many channels as you want.

2. Get your requests in early, around the first of the month, if you want to have any chance of making some cash that month. Typically the editors of the channels don't make up the list off the top of their head. They wait till a writer suggests something, usually turn them down, but put that topic up for grabs the following month.

3. Be consistent! Editor love consistent writers and will often favor those who write a lot and write often.

4. Even if the topic for an article you want to write isn't listed, send a message to the channel editor and ask.

I've had a wonderful time at BrightHub. I honestly do not find their policies strict at all. Most of my "please fix and resubmit" mails is simply because I forget images and inside back links. Writing for BrightHub is easy and can be very profitable. It isn't very wise to throw away this money making opportunity.
evie

Post by evie »

Thanks for the insider info bulletbutter, good to hear that it's successful for you!

Thing is, I pulled in $100 from CC last month from selling fewer than 10 articles (I believe Bright Hub pay $10 per article), and without having to worry about SEO... which for me is a better way to write. However, still have that problem of quiet periods!

I'll keep an open mind about Bright Hub and will attempt to look through their info again as it sounds like it could be a good back up.

Evie
AnnaMoraley

Post by AnnaMoraley »

I've been writing for Bright Hub for over 2 years now. It's really very easy to get started as most editors have plans that you can choose articles from- which I really like. I make around $250 a month just from writing articles alone across 4 channels. Two of which I consider my profession and two which are very much hobbies I just love to write about :D

If you can write 450 words in a nice clear manner and present the keywords as have been provided, you would love Bright Hub. You need to do that so your articles get views, then its a super place to work and the MEs will give you lots of opportunity. Having a lot of articles published that have steadily increasing views also gives a nice additional revenue share bonus on all page views. I always consider this a bonus to the upfront fee's, and it all adds up over time.

I also think it's a lot more friendly and personable a place than DS or eHow.
Anna
joetraff

Post by joetraff »

bulletbutter wrote:I currently write for BrightHub and can say that they do in fact pay. As far as all this talk about them giving you topics to write about and stuff filling up quickly, I guess it all depends on the channel you are writing for. The editor in charge of one of the channels I write for only complains that there isn't enough people writing stuff. Which is great for me since I can take up 2-5 times the amount they would normal allow a single writer simply so the editor can meet the quota for the month. This month I may very well pull out $100.

A few tips if you are a member:
1. It's listed that you can only sign up for 3 different channels (or topics). Initially that is true, but after a few days go by you can start applying to write for as many channels as you want.

2. Get your requests in early, around the first of the month, if you want to have any chance of making some cash that month. Typically the editors of the channels don't make up the list off the top of their head. They wait till a writer suggests something, usually turn them down, but put that topic up for grabs the following month.

3. Be consistent! Editor love consistent writers and will often favor those who write a lot and write often.

4. Even if the topic for an article you want to write isn't listed, send a message to the channel editor and ask.

I've had a wonderful time at BrightHub. I honestly do not find their policies strict at all. Most of my "please fix and resubmit" mails is simply because I forget images and inside back links. Writing for BrightHub is easy and can be very profitable. It isn't very wise to throw away this money making opportunity.
Great tips.
Thanks for sharing.