What's wrong with this sentence?

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

JKALLEN

What's wrong with this sentence?

Post by JKALLEN »

Advice please....is there something wrong with the following sentence, and in particular with the punctuation of said sentence?

Thanks in advance,

Jenn

Meaning “the end of the deep water”, Chicoutimi is located in the province of Quebec, 225km north of Quebec City, where the Chicoutimi and Saguenay rivers converge.
Celeste Stewart

Re: What's wrong with this sentence?

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi,
I would spell out kilometers and possibly drop the province of Quebec as that seems fairly obvious but it would depend on the rest of the article. I believe Canadian/UK English punctuates the comma outside of the quotes as you have but am not sure. US English places the comma inside the quotes. Here's how I might write it:

Chicoutimi, which means "the end of the deep water," is located 225 kilometers north of Quebec City where the Chicoutimi and Saguenay rivers converge.
JKALLEN

Post by JKALLEN »

I was wondering about the punctuation inside or outside the quotation marks...hrm. I am Canadian so I guess this might be another one of those things I have to learn to adapt to!

LOL

Jenn
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi Jenn,

I believe that Celeste is correct with the punctuaction with:
Chicoutimi, which means "the end of the deep water," is located 225 kilometers north of Quebec City where the Chicoutimi and Saguenay rivers converge.

I think you can make the sentence concise by:

Chicoutimi, "the end of the deep water," is where the Chicoutimi and Saquenay rivers converge 225 kilometres north of Quebec City.

This puts the water phrase closer to the rivers, which seems to me to be a logical progression.

Hope this helps,

Hayley