Just when you thought they couldn't get any cheaper...

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

sranta

Just when you thought they couldn't get any cheaper...

Post by sranta »

As I stated in my intro post, I signed up at a couple of other places before CC and sometimes troll other job listing boards to get ideas on what to write and submit here. Well, I found this little 'gem' on elance:

Hi,

I am looking for a highly skilled team of article writers. Each article will be of around 350-500 words.

Example of what I am looking for is:

An article writer will be paid $250-$300 per month and required to produce around 10-15 articles a day and work 6days a week. So in total around 300 Articles a month per writer.

Thank you.

http://www.elance.com/jobs/16372205/loo ... le_writers

Is this guy smoking crack? What highly skilled team of article writers is going to churn out 10-15 articles a day for six days a week at $250-$300 per month?
BarryDavidson

Re: Just when you thought they couldn't get any cheaper...

Post by BarryDavidson »

I wouldn't even scratch myself for that amount. Someone will probably take the job, but English won't be their first language (or second for that matter).
MediaMaven

Post by MediaMaven »

Sometimes I feel like making a blog that highlights all of the bad eLance jobs that are posted every week, but then I'd be too busy to get any other writing done!

My husband and I both use eLance, myself as a writer and he as a programmer. We see unrealistic jobs like this all the time. Well, I wish they were unrealistic but as Barry said, someone will probably take the job.

In the end, he will get what he paid for. At $1/article or less he will get articles full of grammatical errors, useless to anyone trying to establish credibility for a website. He could also get plagarized content, which eventually could be found out by the rightful owner and then he'd be asked to remove it. His, er, frugality in finding content for his site will probably cost him plenty in the long run - in visitors, sales, or by having to have all the content edited or re-written.

When I started freelance writing I saw these jobs and was worried that I'd have to start out that low, or that I'd never be able to make decent money if I had to compete against those kinds of rates. I know better know, and Constant-Content played a role in proving my fears irrational!
vjlenin

Post by vjlenin »

Sad that many people from my country (India) are there to happily write for this guy. I have written blog posts and opined in several places not to undertake such crackpot jobs, but sadly, college guys and all, with somewhat good grasp of English may jump on them thinking they got the heaven at their feet. Some people grow and become involved with better opportunities, not all.