Yes! Sold!

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

JoHunley

Yes! Sold!

Post by JoHunley »

The advice here is a great tool for the new CC author. I've been checking the Author section to get a feel for what sellers do, checking the requests faithfully, looking at what sold recently, and submitting. Woke up this morning to my first sale! THAT is an awesome feeling. Thanks, o helpful gurus and Constant Content. I'm just tickled.
Celeste Stewart

Re: Yes! Sold!

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Congrats!
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

Cool, huh? Now, more of the same!
Ed

Post by Ed »

Jo - this is a friendly reminder not to sell yourself short. Don't be afraid to ask for what the article is worth.

Ed
JoHunley

Post by JoHunley »

Well, I'm definitely open to more profit. Here's how I priced that one: Customer asked for certain number of words, offered decent price. I wrote a fairish bit over his requested word count and I thought the piece had a creative enough approach to ask 50% over his lowest offered price, and got what I asked. I thought I made out pretty well to get more than the customer offered but I'm still too new to judge, so if more experienced CC'ers have advice to offer on how to price then y'all have my undivided attention. I can absolutely use more money per article. (And thanks, Ed! I'm grabbing at nothing, trying to figure out the learning curve here, so any words of wisdom are like gold to me.)
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi Jo,

Congratulations, it's a wonderful feeling to make a sale!

Support has recently updated the typical prices list, so when you go to submit an article, click on the red text typical prices and a table will open in a new window with suggested prices for usage, unique, and full rights licences. This is good guideline! In fact, I've recently upped some of prices to match this guideline.

I've fluctuated with pricing, but now I tend to price my articles fairly high, even if the customer requests a lower price on a public request. When I first came here, I sold a couple of articles very cheaply and then worked out the cents per word of the portion I actually received. I was devastated to discover I had sold a couple of articles for less than a third of a cent per word! That certainly didn't pay me a good hourly rate for the time spent in writing, proof-reading, and even submitting my work. Since then, I set myself a minimum price that I wanted to receive for at least usage and have priced accordingly.

However, I find that pricing articles at a decent rate pays off - not only do I receive a decent amount per article, but the customers tend to purchase articles at the high prices. It is part of marketing yourself here. If you sell cheaply, that's all the customers think the article is worth. If you show you value your work, the customers tend to think it is worth buying the article at the high price. Although I do use the best offer system, to allow customers a chance to negotiate on price, most customers just buy straight away. I've recently sold articles from 600 to 900 words ranging from $70 to $120 for full rights. Some of those articles were sold immediately or within a couple of days. I'd say that's a pretty decent return!

Best of luck here, wishing many more sales in the future,

Kind regards,

Hayley