Seeking advice - newcomer

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

aneeta

Seeking advice - newcomer

Post by aneeta »

Hello,

I am a newcomer to CC. I've read most of the posts but have not found the answers I'm seeking to two questions. I am hoping that you'll be able to help me, please.

1. I have written an article in response to a caption unders 'Requested Content'. When I clicked on the description, the person who is requesting articles says this: Interested in all submissions but articles written from personal experience are most welcomed.

My article is written from presonal experience but I've read that personal accounts are not accepted here. How do I make it clear that this is an article written with this request in mind and yet not flout the rule that I should not write from personal expereince? This is what I've written in the Summary so far: ... This article, a response to requested content, is written from personal experience and sets out four simple tips to help you when you first set up your stall ... . Would this be OK?

2. I know that an article should not contain a mixture of British spelling and US spelling. In my article, I've used British spelling. However, one of the organisations I'm referring to is known by its US spelling - The International Organization for Standardization (ISO). I have used itaclics to highlight the fact that this is the name of the organisation. Would this be OK?

Thank you.

Aneeta
HayleyWriter

Re: Seeking advice - newcomer

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi Aneeta,

Welcome to CC!

First of all, which request are you writing for? Most of the older requests have already been filled, so I wouldn't waste time trying to respond to them. The most recent requests are not requesting writing from a personal experience. Anything below the health practice articles on the request list has most likely been filled, and many of the ones above that one have also been filled. Keep an eye on the recently sold list to see what is selling and when requests are filled.

Although I would ask Ed to respond to the question about italics usage, personally I prefer not to use italics. I think it looks messy, and the reader is unlikely to know why the italics have been used.

My personal advice to someone starting at Constant Content is to forget about the requests at first, and focus on writing articles to build up a good portfolio. Write about what you know, or are interested in. Many customers at CC do not make requests, because the articles are already available to them, since authors have written them "on spec". I have made many sales by writing about topics that have not been publicly requested. If a new request comes along that sparks your interest, by all means write an article about it then. The other idea is to keep an eye on the recently sold list, as this will let you know what the "hot" topics are.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Hayley

PS: If you want to get your articles approved, proofread everything several times, prior to submission. There are several spelling and grammatical errors in your forum question.
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Aneeta,

By the way, I often write from my personal experience, however, readers do not want the authors to intrude on the writing. When writing from my personal experience, I'll stick to the third person or write directly to the reader, as if their experience will be similar. For example, if I am writing about giving a speech at a conference, something I have personal experience in, I will write like this:

"If this is your first speech at a conference, you will likely feel nervous. You may find that nervousness increases your rate of speech and you end up talking very quickly. Remember that successful public speakers will actually speak at a rate that is about 10 to 20 per cent slower than normal speech patterns, so take a deep breath and focus on slowing down your speech."

I wrote from personal experience about feeling nervous when speaking in public, but the reader is not bothered by "I" sentences. If I had written the above like the example paragraph below, the reader is forced into my world and has to relate to me personally as an author. In the first paragraph, the reader gets the same information but in a more impersonal way which means the reader does not have to think about who the author actually is. If you submit articles written in first person, like the paragraph below, Ed will certainly reject them.

"The first time I gave a speech at a conference, I was terribly nervous. My hands were shaking, so I dropped my notes, and I spoke so quickly that no-one could understand me. I later learnt that public speakers usually talk about 20 per cent slower than normal speech."

This sort of writing can be appropriate in some circumstances, but usually when the author has a personal relationship with the reader, such as in a private letter. Writing for general public consumption means the author can not have a personal relationship with every reader.
Hayley
aneeta

Post by aneeta »

Hi Hayley,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply.

Aneeta
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I know the public request you're referring to Aneeta. It's one of the older device driver article requests. I too have contemplated writing a few first person accounts of my computer adventures. It is my understanding, after doing a few too many searches of the forums here, that unless the requester specifically asks for first person, it'll be rejected.

The personal experience usually refers to articles that are like a conversation, or advice. Instead of just bare facts in a cold world, you write as if you were actually speaking to the reader. Which of these are more personal to you?

Take PCI device from protective packaging, then insert into PCI slot.

Or

Before you can install the PCI NIC, you're going to have to remove the computer's side panels. To do this you're going to need a Phillips head screwdriver, a rubber or anti-static surface, and about fifteen minutes.

I'll be honest with you though. If I could write first person accounts of the things my children have done to their computers over the years, I'd have several volumes thicker than War and Peace. Imagine my surprise the day I found coke spilled in my daughter's Barbie-pink computer case, but none around it?
aneeta

Post by aneeta »

Barry, Thank you very much for sharing this information.