Pricing of articles - Who is selling for $1 - $5?

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

JoHunley

Re: Pricing of articles - Who is selling for $1 - $5?

Post by JoHunley »

BWhite,

I write in Wordpad. It usually comes standard in the software package of most desktops. Go into your Start menu, then All Programs, then Accessories. You should find Wordpad there. It's very simple software, I open new document, change font to Times New Roman, change size to 12, bold for the title and off I go. Never had a problem with the files not being to Ed's liking (except that one time I forgot to change the font, and that was my fault and not the program's).

Or, you can google OpenOffice. Last time I used it, it was freeware. Very extensive office software and far preferable to anything Microsoft has. Even has spreadsheets - I didn't like theirs as much as Excel's, but it's got them.
bwhite

Post by bwhite »

JoHunley,

Thanks for the advice! I had left the computer and logged but had decided (after a very short nap) to try writing on his system anyway. I'll give Wordpad a shot...I used to use it back in the day....*sheepish grin*...got spoiled with better programs. Maybe someone is telling me to get back to basics?? LOL
geniuswaitress

Post by geniuswaitress »

I noticed yesterday that someone bought a whole slew of dog-related articles, some for as low as $1, and several for $3-$7. It was clearly the same buyer. A couple of the titles were bought for $20 and $30. That means that they were willing to pay a whole range of prices for the articles they specifically wanted. The people who charged a buck could have made more if they'd asked for it.
mtnbrooks

Post by mtnbrooks »

I was wondering how you viewed what articles were selling and for what price? I was offered $6 for a "dog related" article on the 9th. I don't know how to view what is selling, and I don't know how to check prices for sold content. I wasn't about to sell full rights for $6 as I believe it only hurts all content writers. Thanks!
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

When signed in, go to the "Recently Sold Content" link. There, you will see the latest 20 articles sold along with their respective selling prices. You should plan on stopping by at least once per day as it helps you to see what's hot and gives you an idea about what's currently working. It's not perfect, but it does give you a pulse. Over time, you'll see trends.
sranta

Post by sranta »

I was perusing through the Freelance Freedom webcomic and found a reply to one of them pointing to this Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

I've really got to see this movie. I wonder if we can make it required viewing for everyone who comes on here and gives their work cut rate prices? The webcomic's pretty good too:

http://freelanceswitch.com/freelance-fr ... edom-50-2/
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

While the majority of authors are matching the typical price lists, we are still getting several usage articles selling for $5, and today there is even one for $1 on the recently sold list. You have to sell articles many, many times to recoup the same amount than if you had charged a decent price for the article in the first place. Personally, I would rather sell the article once for $30 than to sell the same article 15 times for $1, or even the same article 5 times for $5. Firstly, this would be easier, as I only have to attract one customer, and secondly, I would make more anyway. Even if I later sell articles that were purchased for usage rights again, that becomes a bonus, rather than money needed to make the writing worthwhile in the first place.

My formula for pricing is to work out what I want to receive for the article (after CC's cut). I usually look at the word count and aim to receive at least 3 to 5 cents a word, depending on how much research was involved.This is my absolute minimum I want to receive for the article, not the most I can make (or have made!). I then work out what I need to receive from the customer to cover CC's cut and price accordingly. If I want to make 5 cents per word on a 600 word article, I need $30.00 in my pocket. To make $30, I have to sell the article for $46.50 on CC. $15 to $25 for usage will be fine, as the article only has to sell 2 to 3 times to make the money, and anything after that is a bonus. Mostly, my minimum fee becomes my usage fee because many articles only sell once, even for usage. Exclusive licences are charged more.

If you sell an article several times at $1 for usage, you could make more by selling at $10. Most customers will pay $10 for a decent article. You receive $6.50 each time the article sells. If a $10 article sells just three times, you will have made $19.50. To make the same $19.50 you would need to sell a $1 article 30 times.
nickpaddy

Post by nickpaddy »

Just a quick message to say that it's all very well authors setting their own prices at reasonable levels, but perhaps CC needs some minimum pricing on the request side of things to stop customers requesting 500 words articles for $5 full rights and 1000 words for $10?

That way authors have the option to sell cheaply if they want to clear their back catalogue, giving customers a range of choice, while at the same time preventing customers requesting bespoke articles for ridiculously low prices.

It's one thing to have cheap prices to shift stock and quite another to be asked to write an article in a specific way on a specific topic for a price that wouldn't cover the price of the coffee drunk while writing it. That is just plain insulting.
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi Nick,

You are right that customers offering such prices is insulting. However, if authors agree to write for those prices, there is little the website can do about it. I've been campaigning for a minimum price for a while now, but nothing is happening with it. Perhaps the website doesn't want to turn prospective customers away. As authors we do have a choice as to what price we will accept for our work on CC, a choice which many other content sites do not give authors. We must be grateful for that! Frankly, I just ignore the requests that offer a pittance. If every author did the same, the customers would be forced to pay decent rates for the articles they want.

Hayley
vjlenin

Post by vjlenin »

Most of the authors, who really know the potential here, including people like Celeste, have always told authors to set optimum prices for the content. I have set a fair price on my articles myself, which was never too high nor too low. It was enough to make a very good earning for me.

In fact, the experienced authors here don't need to worry a lot about the newbies setting one dollar or five dollar or even ten dollar for their articles. The customers really are looking for quality and they can't get even closer ROI from purchasing low quality articles (assuming newbie articles priced too low are really of only slightly better quality than PLR articles, and that quality being grammar perfection and correct wording).

But a good customer knows there is lot moreto ROI than correct grammar. It's keywords, related keywords, density, keyword spread, and how close related words appear. Besides these, there is specific style of writing which ranks high on SEO, and can guarantee great returns. And these qualities cost really high, and get them good return of investments. This means, experienced, good authors will always have the market even if new writers try to make sales and quick bucks with poorly written articles set at too low prices.

In fact, I believe the price is set too low mainly because the author concerned is not confident in his /her work.

To new authors, I have only one advice, look at CC as a means to live a life, not to make a quick buck. Take it as a real job, and put in great effort to create great content. Grow your presence gradually, by learning from your seniors. Take pride in your work and set price for your pride, not the work...
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Today there is a whole stack of articles purchased for less than $3! Unfortunately, this is one of the regular and established authors who consistently puts a low price on her articles to start with and then accepts ridiculuous offers. I wouldn't mind so much, except that her pricing strategy DOES impact on me. I can rarely sell articles in any category this author consistently writes in, at least not at my usual prices. Since she consistently sells at $7, customers think that is going rate for articles in those categories. Just today I had to reject a best offer for $7 for an article in an area she commonly writes in: fashion. I would have accepted an offer of at least $10 (I originally had priced this article at an exceptionally cheap $15 for use, so $10 would still give the customer a HUGE 33% discount, and would mean I would receive just over $6 for the article - still not really worth my time though!) I certainly can't afford to receive less than $5 by selling an article at $7.

Unfortunately, while I use the best offer system, I receive far too many offers for HALF or LESS than half of what price I originally put on the article. I generally refuse those, but I would like the opportunity to still offer a discount to customers (even up to 25%, but 50% off is just too much!).

My point is that ANY authors whether new or established selling at extremely low prices hurts all authors, as the customers expect this to be the 'normal' price.

Hayley
JKALLEN

Post by JKALLEN »

I agree Haley, and must admit to being shocked at seeing the avalance of articles selling for $2.75, though it looks like alot of these may have been spun if judging by the titles. Nonetheless, it hurts everybody to do this, not just those who write in that category.

Jenn
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I don't know that it really hurts as there are so many customers with different needs. If someone wants to serve those needing cheap usage articles, it doesn't bother me. I prefer to serve a different market and I don't do the best offer thing at all. Even without those articles, the best offer option is sure to attract a few customers who will try to get the lowest possible price.
Suzyarie24

Post by Suzyarie24 »

I agree with Hayley and JKALLEN. As a new writer just starting off with CC, it's so tempting to put low low prices on my work just to try and rack up sales and give my fledgling ego a much needed boost! But I've sold 3 full rights articles, all for between $20 and $30, which is good for me just starting off. Seeing all those $2.75 articles sell makes my heart sink as I think that any new customer, or even established customer, is going to see that and think that they shouldn't pay (or have been paying) over the odds.

I've not sold any usage rights so I'm not sure what the commission rate is, but if it's 35% then that means that author will get just $1.79 per article. In my opinion, this impacts badly on CC and the community of professional and original content creators that live here. Celeste, I have to disagree with you - I think it impacts on everyone here, not just those writing in the Health & Lifestyles category.

I read somewhere on the forums a suggestion that CC could put a minimum sale price on articles, and I think this could work a treat. Customers know that they are getting quality content, and they will have to pay for the privilege.

Suzyarie
nickpaddy

Post by nickpaddy »

Another string of articles sold for under $3.
Is this author totally unaware of the recommended sales prices? I'm sure they could be earning three times as much and still selling as regularly if they put the price up.