House addition thing

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

RFHarris

House addition thing

Post by RFHarris »

I'd like to build a very inexpensive additional enclosure like an outdoor patio but one that is enclosed since it rains all the time here. Mainly because I like to be outside. Any ideas of where to start?
BarryDavidson

Re: House addition thing

Post by BarryDavidson »

Personally, I'd search for local companies which have pre-fabricated enclosures. In many cases, they will come to your home for free and help you decide which one is right for you.

Inexpensive is a relative term. How much would all the materials cost, and how much would your time be worth while building it. Let's not forget the gas for transporting the lumber, plus wear and tear on your vehicle.
RFHarris

Post by RFHarris »

I don't want to go fancy, I just want to build a little place so I can smoke without getting wet.

: P
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

When we built a small outdoor patio, we took a trip to the local library and got a few books on how to build one. Of course, you can
check online too, It's free and provides lots of ideas as well as guidance on what you need. Measure out the spot that you want to build on.
If you want to keep costs down, make sure that you check out the clearance sections of the local home improvement stores if you
have any near you. WG
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Above all, check your local ordinances and zoning laws. Where I live you can't even repave your driveway without a permit from the county. I can't even put one of those little tent-like coverings over my driveway to protect my cars unless it conforms to zoning laws.