Are There Any Poets in the Crowd?

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

BarryDavidson

Are There Any Poets in the Crowd?

Post by BarryDavidson »

I've seen a few people nibble around the edges of the subject, but how many of you actually put pen to paper? I ask this because it's nice to talk to others who Do Not Go Gently Into That Goodnight.

A couple of years ago and agent read a portion of my work and asked, "Have you ever thought about writing structured poetry?"

Of course I asked, "What do you mean?"

Of course he only mentioned sonnets, limericks and such. So, one Friday I learned the rules for several different types of poems, and by Saturday I had ten pieces. (I should mention here that I also had to learn was iambic pentameter and tetrameter was.)

I picked the most off the wall subjects I could. I'm still not sure whether I did it just to get a laugh, or to make those 19th century poets roll over in their graves. You all know the ones I'm talking about. Those "great" poets of the past which teachers used to cram down throats in middle and high school. Some of you might have even been required a literature class or two in college as well.

If you survived that, what are your favorite types of poetry? If you're only doing free verse, would you like to learn a few of the structured poetry types? Do you think that all poetry is like the teen angst stuff publishers keep putting out in mass?
bwhite

Re: Are There Any Poets in the Crowd?

Post by bwhite »

I can't believe nobody has posted all this time!!! I am a poet and I love the old-fashioned, metered work. It has to have the right rhythm and rhyme at the ends of the right lines. I've written a few off-beat pieces but I seem to find something soothing about the steady rhythm of traditional work. I don't do the wierd phrasing or a lot of metaphores as I like to keep it simple; Simplicity is best when reaching to such a large crowd in today's world.
I'd love to make money with a mix of my poetry and photography but my finances are limiting my photography (I shoot old-fashioned SLR 35mm FILM...LOL). My dream still stands though.....
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Thanks for replying.

I'd never read a vilannelle about spanking, or a sonnet about fat people in spandex on the beach (so I had to write them). I'll tell you though, I absolutely hate iambic pentameter. Sure, I'd love to have the acclaim that Dylan Thomas has, but I'd rather have it while I'm alive. Keep at it. I have enough work put together for a small book of poetry. I may self publish it, but I'm waiting for the right company to come along. I just can't bring myself to charge people fifteen dollars or more for a poor quality trade paperback.
bwhite

Post by bwhite »

LOLOL I understand. I have enough written for a medium-size anthology. I'll always write when the mood strikes but that seems to be less and less these days. Maybe I should get back into it (ie force myself) as you never know what is lying in wait in the darkness of the corners of one's mind.... *grin*
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Start carrying journals with you everywhere, and place a few all over the house. I also have an old style fountain pen I use. I always seem to write more when I have one of those. (Borders usually has journals on bargain for 7.99 and under. I work there, so I get 33% off those prices too.)