Hey Ed!

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Ed

Re: Hey Ed!

Post by Ed »

Yeah, a Google search ascertained my suspicion - other people have had to scramble to find the disk, too. Currently, the OS has to be the same just so I can get into the computer to eventually take it off/make backups. Right now it will start up into a screen that ask for the OS disk. If I try starting it in safe mode, it will cycle back to that screen. This happened once before, and I was foolish enough to believe that Vista service packs would have fixed the problem. A buddy had the appropriate disk from another buddy, but I can no longer trace that chain of computer afficionados. So now I start my search anew, wiser and more frustrated, but still not convinced we should all return to paper and pen.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I'll see if I can track down a Vista version for ya. Was it 32 or 64bit? Premium, home, or ultimate?

What's the make and model of your laptop? I'll also liik for a recovery iso.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Ed,

Do you have access to a fast internet connection, a bittorrent program, and a CD/DVD burner?

If so, try downloading the iso you need from http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download- ... very-disc/

Both the 32bit and 64bit versions are listed there. You can't reinstall, but it does have the Vista recovery programs.

If not, I'll be happy to make copies of them and send them to a PO box, or wherever you choose. I'll include instructions on how to make the computer boot from CD in the BIOS settings.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Barry, that's very helpful! I'll try that. Thanks a lot!
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I'm not completely sure about Vista's menu choices when you hit the F8 key so I'll go with what I know.

Find out what key to hit to enter the BIOS boot menu. On most PC's it's the Delete key, but laptops vary. Especially proprietary ones with their own drivers. Once in the BIOS, again this is guess work because I've never owned a Sony laptop, you're going to have to search for the menu option to take you to the boot sequence. It'll be something like:

1st boot device: HDD-00 (or 01)
2nd boot device: CD Rom Drive
3rd boot device: Floppy Drive

You're going to want to change that first and second boot device around. Usually it's the Page Up/Page Down buttons to change them. Once you've changed them, you'll save and exit (put the CD in before doing this to save you a little time later).

When the computer reboots, and the CD is in the drive - you'll get the "To boot from CD press any key" option. Don't waste time looking for the "Any" key. Just hit any other key. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Let it load, and go from there.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Ed,

I had a question I'd like to ask you and Celeste before posting here about it, but I don't know how to contact you outside od posting it here. I sent a message to her, but...

Thanks
Ed

Post by Ed »

Barry, you can email Support and they can get a note to me.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Thanks Ed. I emailed support about the issue first, since it involves a copyright issue.