Depression and Writing: How do you get through it?

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

melissan

Re: Depression and Writing: How do you get through it?

Post by melissan »

Little white pills, little pink pills a little yellow pill or two. Kava tea, St. John's wort, melatonin, Rescue Remedy, Walking, accupuncture, reiki, full spectrum light bulbs, therapy, no sugar diet....

I've tried a thing or two.

I have no "official" diagnosis, other than possibly low grade depression, but when I feel "off" I try to deal with it right away. There is nothing like being a writer and feeling stunted, uncreative and stressed out.

Be easy on yourself, get out in whatever is left of the sunshine, the words will come. It is only my opinion, but I think many writers have intense feelings....whether classified as depression, bipolar, etc. Consider Stephen King. I would bet he battles some inner demons but his writing is terrific.
Lor

Post by Lor »

Deborah, I'm sorry. Can't help you with depression, but I need to briefly change the subject.

Juliane,
How on earth do you write 4 articles in one hour? For most of us, it takes an hour to write 500 good words. This is a serious question, not sarcasm. I'd really like tips, because I can't imagine writing a good 15 minute article. Fast typing aside, we'd all like to produce that way. Please tell us.

Lor
Lor

Post by Lor »

Juliane

On second thought, don't tell me. I've thought about it myself and have drafted an article on the subject. If you were to give me your secrets, I might feel like a dirty trickster. LOL. Naw, but there would be something distasteful about it. Just a head's up.

In any case, I see only one way to write that fast and that's writing what you already know and off the top your head. You can certainly do it in 15 minutes, but it would still need some gleaning and cleaning. From my perspective anyway. :)

Lor
cashwriter

Post by cashwriter »

Deborah,

I have bipolar Type II disorder, as well as a hefty dose of generalized anxiety disorder. Possibly ADD too, but that's not been exactly tested for yet. Anyway, I'm very new to freelance writing, but I'm not so new to depression. I get a LOT done when I'm hypomanic, and it's pretty good stuff. When I'm depressed, I get a whole lot of nothing done. The things I do to get out of a slump is to get outside and walk or do some yardwork (anything to get the blood pumping) and I make sure I go do things with my friends (whether I feel like it or not) because inevitably I feel better once I'm out. You might consider having pre-written articles (from manic times) for when you're not feeling up to writing. I know deadlines for new material would be difficult to manage, but if you can swing a laptop (or borrow one), going outside or to a cafe or library to write might get you going. Most of all, take a shower, get dressed (bra and everything!) and don't let yourself stay at home. Home is a comfort zone where depression thrives. Please feel free to write again (preferable from a library computer or laptop!), and I'm happy to commiserate with you and/or encourage you when you're in a funk. Most of all, I want you to know you're not alone.

Eileen
satishbhawra27

Post by satishbhawra27 »

when a truly depressive episode hits. I'm on happy pills....but alas, they don't fix everything.....and as much as I'd love to pretend that they would take away