Really Depressed

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

cgardener

Really Depressed

Post by cgardener »

I've deleted all my unreviewed articles, because I got two rejections today. I don't know if I want to resubmit them. I thought I was doing well, I had three accepted, then two that I submitted for public requests were rejected.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this. I'm beginning to think I should go back to cashiering at $8 an hour.
Celeste Stewart

Re: Really Depressed

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Rejections are a fact of life for ALL writers. Those who keep on moving have a better chance of success than those who become paralyzed or take the rejections personally or as a commentary on their writing abilities. With CC, Ed tells you the main reason the article wasn't accepted and gives you the chance to reevaluate and try again. With traditional submissions, such as to print publishers, you might get a form rejection letter within six months or so (if you're lucky) or you may never hear from the publisher ever.

I know you're anxious to get a lot of articles on the site from your other posts but there's a reason why CC prefers new writers to take it slow. It gives you a chance to get a better sense of the process because it does take a while to adapt to the particulars and preferences of the site. Try not to get discouraged and look at each rejection as a chance to become an even better writer than you are now.
cgardener

Post by cgardener »

Celeste,
I'm not going to give up, but since I only get three rejections, and I already have two, how much better can I get before I get my third and am never allowed to submit anything again?

I don't take it personally, I just didn't think it would happen so fast. I fully expected to get rejected sooner or later.

I'm not hurt, it's just that I really like CC, and I don't want to be kicked off forever. I could take being suspended for a time, but not kicked off forever.

I need money right now, and that's why I submitted so many so fast. I will make the rest perfect, and resubmit them.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Suspensions occur when an author does not improve or has no basic understanding of the language and its rules. Just use the information in the rejection notifications to improve your submissions from here on out. Everyone has a learning curve to get over. Just relax and take your time. Hundreds of authors have found their groove with CC. You can, too.
cgardener

Post by cgardener »

Thanks, Ed. I'll do that. :)
Ed

Post by Ed »

Yep - don't jump ship yet.
cashwriter

Post by cashwriter »

I can't remember which author said it (I want to say Stephen King, but I'm not positive) but the gist was, "You're not a real author until you have a stack of rejection letters in your filing cabinet". I once braved sending a piece of fiction to the New Yorker. It was such a rush sending it out, and I even was a bit thrilled to get the rejection. I remember thinking, "I'm a real author now!" Plus, someone at the New Yorker read my work! LOL Chin up, your writing can only get better with practice!