Totally Freaked

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

crsenter

Totally Freaked

Post by crsenter »

Ok, I've only been a member of this site since this morning, but I've read everything I could think of before submitting my first article.

I worked that article over and over, making sure the spelling was perfect, trying to make sure there were no punctuation errors, and moving paragraphs around like I was playing one of those con-artist card games. I'm so freaking out over this 3-strike rule. But, I decided the best way to test the waters was to jump in with both feet and I submitted my first article.

Then, I come back to the forums and begin reading a little more and now I'm really freaking out. I probably should have read the "rejection" section first, but then again I probably wouldn't have submitted. I'm having heart murmurs over the whole thing. What if I screwed something up, what if I didn't post this right, or what if I didn't do that right. Is it always this nerve racking?

Please, someone come tell me that I'm just being silly and there's nothing to worry about.
grouchy

Re: Totally Freaked

Post by grouchy »

While it's not silly and "nothing to worry about," if your article is rejected your email notification will tell you why (briefly). If you need help understanding it, just come back to the forums (there's a "rejections" category). Other people, including Ed, are willing to answer your questions. You did the right thing to make it the best it could be and then submit it. Everyone's gotta start somewhere. "Three strikes" doesn't include making technical errors when submitting - it applies to continually making the same errors and not learning from your mistakes.

I have a feeling you're going to do fine.

p.s. If you get a rejection notice, try not to be put off by the sentence that threatens rejection. It's an automated message. Ed's message is above that. It's more humane.
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

I stressed my first submittal for an entire weekend. Finally Monday came and I sent it in. It took a few days, as most approvals do, and it was accepted! My second offering was not so lucky, and it was rejected. :( It wasn't from writing issues, I forgot to attach the file... lol. The "3 strikes rule" is more about if you fail to meet the basic writing standards in the writing guidelines. They can be a little hard to find, but you can read them in the FAQ section. You would be surprised to see how many people submit the same file over and over again, without fixing mistakes and then argue with poor Ed over the forums. It's days like those I am so thankful I don't wear an editor hat.

Even though I have been writing here for months, occasionally I have a file sent back due to technical issues. In fact, I once had a typo in the Title, and by the time I noticed, asked support to fix it, guess what? The article had sold!

Judging solely from your post you seem to have a good command of the crazy English language and shouldn't worry. If it is rejected, you are probably the type of writer to heed the advice and make the article better than ever. I know it is nerve-wracking to wait, but Constant-Content is worth it. Many of us who are regular writers make a nice income from the site, and if you have any questions, we are a pretty friendly bunch.

Don't forget constructive criticism is a good thing. You can read all about some constructive criticism I received from a fellow writer about my work in the Writing Concisely thread in Author Exchange. Besides, the worst kind of rejection in my book is the one that doesn't even give you a response or reason why? It's the worst feeling to be so insignificant as to not warrant a response...

Good luck! :)

:) ad infinitem,
Elizabeth Ann West
jak

Post by jak »

I've had lots of article accepted here, but had one rejected recently and was advised to look at clarity and punctuation. I realised what I'd done and it was because I was in too much of a hurry to submit. In fact, my original idea had got diluted in the writing, but I'd been too stubborn to replace the emphasis, both in the content and the title. Got it right second time around, after spending lots more time checking every sentence over and over. But that's why this site is so fantastic and Ed should get heaped with praise every single day.

Good luck with your submissions.
RFHarris

Post by RFHarris »

Don't freak the editors are pretty understanding about basic mistakes with submitting, its mainly grammar, punctuation, ect ect ect...
cgardener

Post by cgardener »

Yeah, I was freaking too over the long weekend, when I had lots of articles pending approval and none being approved. I even went back and looked some of them over and added more sentences to the introductory paragraph when somebody told me that two was not enough.

I just got two more articles accepted today, and although I know I'll sooner or later get a rejection, having my first three breeze through has given me a little more confidence.