Can Editors Be More Specific in Critiques?

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

ryanmcquainturk

Can Editors Be More Specific in Critiques?

Post by ryanmcquainturk »

I have successfully submitted 16 articles to this website and sold 7 of them, but lately, I've had issues getting past the editors. My articles continue to get rejected due to "wordiness" and "awkward wording," and it is frustrating not to know how to fix it. The editors are very broad in their analysis, and they link you to the same webpages over and over, which does help. At the same time, I still find myself resubmitting after studying up, and I get a message back saying, "Although you have corrected some of the errors, some errors still pervade throughout." What errors? If the editors took the time to point out to me examples in my work of how my wording is awkward (because it sounds perfectly fine to me because I wrote it) or if certain parts are too wordy.

I am obviously not catching what I am supposed to be catching, and I want the editors to help me improve my writing. Telling me that it's too "wordy" or sounds "awkward" does not help if I don't know where to start.

Does anyone have any way to check for wordiness or awkward wording? I am obviously not a very good judge of this.
Lysis

Re: Can Editors Be More Specific in Critiques?

Post by Lysis »

I find that the way to get through the dreaded wordiness revisions is to take a step back and read the article aloud. You'll find instances where you tell yourself that something can be worded differently, specifically with fewer words.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

I think the editors are really busy processing a lot of articles, so they don't want to have to spend too much time teaching us how to write better. It can help to post a few paragraphs on the forum and ask the other writers if they can spot any wordiness and make a suggestion - you might that useful. Otherwise, try making sentences shorter, and be sure that you don't repeat yourself too much. Being concise is good.

Feel free to post an example so we can help you.

Abba May
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

Funny thing is that I haven't had a rejection for a long time but after posting on this thread today I also got a rejection for wordiness. (I feel stupid. :oops: ) I am grateful to the editor because I can tell that it was a clunky sentence. I think it's best to completely rewrite the paragraph and see if you can come up with something much simpler. That's what I've tried anyway.

I'm sure you'll be fine, Ryan.

Abba May
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

lol I don't want to jinx myself but I haven't had one in a while either, so I suppose one is coming soon. lol

But every time I get one, I go back and read it and I usually find at least once instance of a wordy sentence or paragraph. Sounded good when I wrote it! whoops!