Humorous Article Deleted

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

LauraGinn

Humorous Article Deleted

Post by LauraGinn »

Hey,

Does anyone know what the rules are regarding the submission of humorous articles? I submitted an article I wrote related to vampires and life insurance. It's, in my eyes, perfect for a guest post, as it discussed the benefits of life insurance, but with a humorous/sarcastic tone, and tied it into modern culture.

It has however been rejected, and I received this message:

"We have reviewed your content, "Do Vampires Need Life Insurance?" Unfortunately, we can no longer consider this article for approval. Please do not resubmit."

==== Editorial Information for Your Article: ====

Articles submitted to Constant Content must offer useful information.

This is all fine, but if this is the case - what can be submitted to the humour section? I had a look through it and there are 30 word jokes in there. How is a joke useful information, when a funny article on life insurance isn't? Would be great to have this explained.

Laura
PaulMaplesden

Re: Humorous Article Deleted

Post by PaulMaplesden »

I haven't known editors or other people at CC to come back on policy decisions on articles on the forums, and I'm not sure what more insight we can provide as writers. I have found that a significant part of whether you are accepted or not does depend on which editor reviews your articles, some are more sensitive about certain areas than others.

My suggestion would be to revisit the article, edit it so that the 'useful information' is a bit more obvious and resubmit it I would suggest that when you do the resubmit that you provide a note to the editors in the short summary (that you will remove when the article is accepted.) In the note, you can explain the approach of the article and what it is intended to do. You can also request more detailed feedback on any issues if the article is rejected again.

I hope this helps and good luck!
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

I don't think they will re-accept it, I just want to know what they class as humour and what they don't. I can think of lots of great article topics that would be great for blogs and guest posting - "If Carlsberg Did Driving Lessons...", "Sexy Ways to Pay Off Your Debts"... All of these articles are interesting, but they're funny too. I guess the point I'm trying to make is why have a humour section if they don't accept humorous articles? And how are jokes any more "useful" than an article on vampires and life insurance.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

That sucks, Laura. This is why I'm a science person. Too much grey in the writing world. :)

I think you got an editor who just didn't like it. Story of a writer's life eh? :) Don't let it get you down too much. Can't make everyone happy.
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

It's so frustrating Lysis. I submitted another one titled 'the top 5 crazy ways to make a living' - it was just as silly, but it was accepted. Within an hour of it being live, it's sold. There's clearly a market for humorous articles, and I'm not the only one losing money by them being rejected. Urgh.