Are Editors Subject Matter Experts?

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

sewbrilliant

Are Editors Subject Matter Experts?

Post by sewbrilliant »

Wrote a long detailed message that disappeared upon submission.

The problem I am having is that editors are making claims about my articles that really do not matter in regards to English, grammar, and Constant Content style. I get this same statement, "Articles submitted to Constant Content must offer useful information to the reader." I write about consumer goods and services. My articles are not opinionated, they state rules, facts, warranties, and about any good or bad impact they might have on consumers. Is this useful information? Yes. Another comment was made making a suggestion on how to change what I was saying, not how it was being said. Example: Used bananas are often less expensive than same model year apples. Editor's remark: What about apples that are even less expensive? I know that when I write about science, health, and technology, the editors never make this kind of comment, as I do have a science background. I am left to believe that Constant Content or some of the editors have a political agenda and won't release certain articles. I believe it is Republican because they approved my negative iPhone article, but rejected a positive hybrid article and another that put Craigslist ahead of eBay. The positive or negative status was given to each entity based on laws, services, rules, policies, and warranties. I really don't know what to do anymore. Who is the lowly editor to judge my articles as useful or not? This is not their place, editorializing my work as fit or unfit for some unknown mold. By the way, the editor for one article did not write in complete sentences, nor did they capitalize a model of car.
Isabelnewth

Re: Are Editors Subject Matter Experts?

Post by Isabelnewth »

I think you are probably hitting a bad patch with a particular editor, and hopefully you won't continue having the same problem for long. In a way, I think it can be reassuring to know that they do actually read what you are writing. I once had an impressive rejection because I described Romania being 'overseas' in relation to Spain. Coming from the UK, I think of overseas and abroad as synonymous. I am also used to thinking that Americans are bad at Geography compared to Englishmen- so it was just a bit embarrassing all round! But I digress.

If your comment was on the edited article and you then saved it before resubmitting, then that is an annoying thing that always happens. I believe that you should save your changes to the article, then do your comment, then submit without saving. If you save your comments they always vanish. It's certainly disconcerting and if there's some way to solve it, I would like to know about it......

Cheers.
topquark

Post by topquark »

I'd love to know how CC hires its editors. Other sites that I work for hire from their pool of writers, and I've really enjoyed working as an editor after being hired that way on several sites. However, I've been on CC for years, and even though I get a lot of private requests passed to me by the account managers, I've never heard anything about the possibility of becoming an editor. Are the editors here on-site employees, rather than remote freelancers?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I am left to believe that Constant Content or some of the editors have a political agenda and won't release certain articles. I believe it is Republican because they approved my negative iPhone article, but rejected a positive hybrid article and another that put Craigslist ahead of eBay. The positive or negative status was given to each entity based on laws, services, rules, policies, and warranties.
I hope you're kidding.
I really don't know what to do anymore.
Stop writing boring reviews? I get that the system is frustrating sometimes, but instead of banging your head against a wall and pushing something that's not working for this site, just change directions. Try working on something else. Different angle or find what is working (you mention other categories) and focus on that.

I totally understand the frustration especially if you're new. CC takes some time to understand.
Who is the lowly editor to judge my articles as useful or not?
lol you're shooting yourself in the foot, brah. Walk away. Take a break. Cool down. I get the frustration, but that's when it's time to take a break from CC.
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

You're right, Lysis, and I would add: don't vent your frustrations in the comments box when resubmitting the article, tempting as it may be. I speak as one who did and ended up apologising.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Yes, I find placations and promises to try hard next time get me more sympathies. I just wrote a beautiful article reviewing an artist and it kept coming back with "too many mistakes" even after a sentence-by-sentence rewrite. I simply took it down and went back to what works for me, articles about marketing. Graciousness goes far with editors, frustrations and snarkiness, not so much. :lol: