My own original work should not be labeled plagiarism

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

prof611

My own original work should not be labeled plagiarism

Post by prof611 »

Over a week ago, I submitted an article that was written by me several years ago. It had been published on one of my blogs, but I carefully deleted it from the blog before I submitted it to CC. I checked several phrases from the article on Google, and they still point to my blog, but the blog no longer has the article published. I assume that the next time Google crawls my blog, they will de-list the article.

I received an email, which said, "We accept only completely original content. Constant Content has a zero-tolerance policy for plagiarism." This is wrong! I do not appreciate being labelled a plagiariser!

BTW, this is my second attempt to post a new topic to the forum. My first attempt has never been published. Why not???
prof611

Re: My own original work should not be labeled plagiarism

Post by prof611 »

It took 10 days to get this post approved! Seems to me that this blog is controlled by CC in such a way that nothing detrimental to them can get approval. I'm surpised that this finally got through. Again - what happened to my original post??? And why can't I get my work approved???
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Approving new posters is to stop spammers. It sucks, but it's really not a good idea to let spam build up on a forum (kills user interaction and search engine rank!)

Can your blog somehow be affiliated with your user info in the CC system? If so, I'd put the post back up and explain it to them. Also, you can only sell use on a pre-written topic. Most people here want original content, because they are using it for web content.

Remember, there are always scrapers out there and spinners that steal your content. So even deleting it on your blog won't necessarily clear it from the web. Also, Google has a long memory, so the content might stay in search for a while. If the content 404s, you can request removal through their cache removal request. But, I would put the content back up, associate your info with your CC info, and then try to explain.

I'm just gonna say it again -- I don't think new writers should play with the use option. If there are several blogs with the same content, you could be wrongfully accused of plagiarism.
prof611

Post by prof611 »

Thank you for the quick and lucid reply. I have two problems with your suggestions.

1. How can I put the post back up? I have been deleted from the system. When I try to login, it gives me an error message.

2. I don't want to go the "use" route. If I am careful from now on, I should be able to get Google to de-list the post from my old blog before I submit it to CC. I will do a Google search on several sentences in the article to make sure that the only place the sentence exists is on my old post. Then I can request Google to delist the article. At that point, noone will ever know it existed, so I can then submit it to CC without fear of it being labeled plagiarism.

I already used articles from my defunct websites as submissions to CC, and they were approved. I just messed up on the 3rd submission - didn't wait for it to be delisted.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

OK, I'd be reeeeally careful with submitting rewritten content as fullrights. The first two got by, but the third one didn't and it's because the content is not actually unique and new. I know Copyscape scrapes Google results, but CC doesn't use Copyscape. Not sure how the other plagiarism checker works, but there's also Bing and Yahoo to check.

I'm assuming then that you deleted your whole blog? I say that because you should be able to repost a post.

But, basically, your article still shows in search, and it's really against policy to sell as fullrights on an article that already exists. Even if you slip it by the system, if a customer finds the content is not new, they will be pissed and CC won't be too happy if the customer complains.

My suggestion is to just write new stuff and avoid the hassle. To get your account back, you'll have to show some kind of connection between your CC account and the article. Maybe even put it up as a new blog post and then associate your name to it then explain. That's my suggestion.

You have to understand that they probably get plagiarizers who submit copied content every day.
prof611

Post by prof611 »

Thanks, Lysis. I think I'm going to just drop out of CC, and try another article publisher - there are others, who may not go so far as to ban me outright, without any recourse. My original reason for joining was to sell my own original articles that are no longer being used, and have no duplicates online. I tried to sell the websites, but had no takers at my minimum price. This way I hope to get something for all my literary efforts of the past.

In any case, I can't follow your advice about getting my account back, as I have no way to contact CC directly!

Thanks again for trying to help.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Mailing Addresses
:
1205 - 4464 Markham Street
Victoria BC V8Z 7X8
Canada
33530 1st Way S.
Suite 102
Federal Way, WA 98003
USA

support@constant-content.com

Sweetie, due to recent changes in Google's terms in conditions, most companies who used already published content before, have been shut down. Google is making a huge effort to force everybody to clean up their act and refuses to support companies who do so. You will be hard pressed to find any legitimate company willing to republish articles already previously published on the internet before, even the ones plagiarized without your knowledge. You will be even more hard pressed to find a site to publish on which pays decently enough for your efforts to be worth it.

Why give up now? Why give your blog up? Your blog is likely the only place where you can make a decent return on already used articles. Additionally, if you wanted to sell usage rights in the future to anyone, especially CC, you will need a place to authenticate the publishing as yours. Personally, (because this is what I do) I'd invest in hosting and a blog. I use a green host company called Fat Cow and it costs about $50 per year for hosting (unlimited bandwidth and website limit) and register a domain at $15 per year. I use a Wordpress plug-in for myself. To recoup the cost I then sell hosting to clients, what you charge is up to you. But at $30 per year (for domain and hosting) plus whatever set up and design costs for them, the cost is easily paid by them. I also recoup the cost through Adsense and product reviews, making the blog worth my time. I only use CC to publish content for full rights and that content is written specifically for CC clients. I imagine that this is what most writers do here to make it work and work well.

Don't give up yet, keep persevering if you really want to make a career out of it. anything worth having is totally worth the walls or mountains we need to cross to get there. Dont look at this as an impossibility, look at it as a question, how badly do you want this thing that you want, and how hard are you going to work to get it?

Is the pay at CC worth it? YES. CC is the only place that you can earn this much (how much you decide to set for your work), are guaranteed payment, and can write on any subject you darn well please. Believe me, I have been an article writer since 2001, I have scoured the internet for a place that makes the hard work worth my time. At the very least, CC will train you to be a better writer and to be the kind of writer that major companies will want to work with. When I say major companies, I mean magazines and print where the pay is significantly better than online publishing.