After 2 rejections...

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

contentwriter

After 2 rejections...

Post by contentwriter »

Tonight I got 2 straight rejections. They can't be resubmitted.

So does this mean 1 more and I'm out?
Lysis

Re: After 2 rejections...

Post by Lysis »

Depends. I've had at least 20 rejections since I've been here...at least. That's over the course of about 3 years. The 3 rejections rule isn't really a hard rule. They can get rid of you on the first one.
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

I would say that you shouldn't let it get to you too much...my rejection rate was many, many times worse than yours to start with, going by what you said on another thread. And actually it still is. :(

20 (?) articles accepted straight I think you said, is an amazing start.

I think you may need to step back and look at the reasons for the two 'don't resubmit' rejections, so that you can work out if there is a problem you need to, and can, deal
with, which is probably the case.

If you are able to give more detail about the ed's comments, people might be able to give constructive help...

All the best.
contentwriter

Post by contentwriter »

Thank you! Great track record, Lysis!

Isabelnewth, I have about 20 articles published but the longest I've gone without a rewrite or rejection was about 5 or 6 articles. The "do not resubmit" articles were about awkward wording. I think Lysis is right in saying we should keep our sentences really simple. I'm a bit wordy, I think. Also since English isn't my native language, it DOES sound awkward.

The articles I can get approved first time seem to be the "list" type of articles where I just tell the reader what to do. I thought I was a good writer before, but now I realize I have quite a bit of growing up to do. I just hope CC lets me do it without kicking me out first. :D
evaku

Post by evaku »

Hey contentwriter, if you are getting pinged for awkward wording, then may I suggest checking your writing on this site before submitting:

http://www.polishmywriting.com/

It's not perfect, I only use its suggestions from time to time, but I often go here if I find that Word has calculated my readability to be lower than I'd like it to be (under 60 or so). It's good at catching complex expressions, words you can toss, and highlighting passive voice use (so that you can change it to active). In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with passive voice, but I find that using it too much can make things seem too complex, and so I try to keep my passive sentences low.

Don't wanna be tooting my own horn, but I've had about 3-4 rejections in my last 170 or so articles (my first 50 had a MUCH lower acceptance rate!) and so I'd like to help if I can. I used to have a lot of trouble polishing my writing to the standards here, but at some point it all clicked :)

Good luck!
contentwriter

Post by contentwriter »

evaku, thanks for that link! I'll try it. I didn't even think of using my word processor. I use LibreOffice.

Guess I'm stuck with writing simple 400 word articles until my style improves!

Can I ask another question? What do we do with ideas in our rejected articles? Could we take those ideas and write brand-new articles around those topics? Maybe approaching the subject from a (slightly) different angle? I wrote one article hoping to submit it to a Public Request, but it never saw the light of day. :) It had a nice idea though. Wonder if I could write a unique new article on the same topic?