Does this look right to you?

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

mnicol22

Does this look right to you?

Post by mnicol22 »

I got a rejection for using "...in for a big surprise and, sadly, it’s not ...". The editor thinks I should place a comma before "and" too. Now, I know this correction has a point. I often use a comma before "and" (but not always) and I might normally use one in this instance. However, there's that "sadly" coming up that's already within commas, which makes the sentence look all chopped up. I really don't like the idea of "...in for a big surprise, and, sadly, it’s not ..." Any thoughts?
ScriptMaster

Re: Does this look right to you?

Post by ScriptMaster »

Grammatically, the editor is correct. However, I agree with you that sticking to the grammar rules makes the clause look a bit clunky. When I find myself with this type of construction, I just rewrite the clause or sentence. For example, you could have written "...in for a big surprise. Sadly, it’s not ..."
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

Thanks, ScriptMaster, I think I'll go with your suggestion.

I initially resubmitted with that god-awful comma, but it kept bugging me. It looked bad, which was a shame because I really like this piece. I didn't want to rephrase either because I thought this sentence fits perfectly with the rest of the text (Has it ever happened to you to write an article in one sitting and find that it's spot on?). I guess your solution is the least invasive.

By the way, we should be able to take down previously submitted files. It's kind of ridiculous to have multiple submissions even if you know the editor is going to look at the last one. :evil:
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

I feel your pain about the comma. It was fine, but if I had spotted it when proof-reading, I would have split it into sentences too, after some bitter experiences of my own. I find that when I actually like something I have written is when I have to really watch out...Good luck.
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

Isabelnewth wrote:I feel your pain about the comma. It was fine, but if I had spotted it when proof-reading, I would have split it into sentences too, after some bitter experiences of my own. I find that when I actually like something I have written is when I have to really watch out...Good luck.
Haha! I thought that only happened to me!

I guess there's no easy way to learn things, is there? :roll:
SJHillman

Post by SJHillman »

I think the easiest way to learn things is to read, read, read. And when you're done reading, go read some more. This way, you pick up the rules naturally and you begin to figure out what is right and wrong simply by whether it sounds right or wrong. I've never had an article rejected for grammar or structure (although plenty of other reasons), but I can't describe the technical aspects of what makes my writing grammatically correct even when I use a fairly complex sentence structure. However, I started reading novels fairly young and kept at it all through primary and secondary school to the point where I'd be consuming more than a hundred novels a year. Unfortunately, I've had less time for reading since getting a real job, but I still try to get through a few novels a year by my favorite authors.

The bottom line is pick a few authors that you know to be good and read their books, short stories, articles, etc as often as you have time for. Then try to emulate their style. Once you can emulate them, you will probably have the rules of writing etched into your brain (hopefully in a figurative manner) and then you can write grammatically correct prose the first time, every time. With some hard work and luck, you can even master the great bane of English teachers: the semi-colon.
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

I absolutely agree that the best way to learn how to write is by reading copiously.

But not so much that writing like my favourite authors, or even the most highly regarded authors in English, would result in work free of what would here be seen as grammatical mistakes.

Fiction writers often take liberties with grammatical rules which would earn instant rejection on this site. Try a bit of James Joyce, or Jack Kerouac! And although basic grammatical structure still sits underneath the text, some rules do change over time, and opinions can legitimately vary. The split infinitive, which made many people wince not long ago, is half acceptable now.

Writing here just means eternal vigilance for me, which is probably very good for my soul: one cannot get too puffed up with pride and vanity when your next article can come whizzing back so unexpectedly.