Newsy article rejected

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

ScriptMaster

Newsy article rejected

Post by ScriptMaster »

One of my articles was recently rejected for being newsy, and I was told not to re-submit because newsy articles are not accepted. Yet today's requests include the following:

SEO newsy articles (news related only)

On this topic, what exactly constitutes a newsy article? The one I submitted referred to an incident, but the focus of the article was on what the likely repercussions would be, and why relevant authorities should take note of the incident, rather than the incident itself. The rejection note also said articles should not be dated. I gave the date of the incident. If i submit an article about WWII for example, can I not mention 1939? All very odd.
SJHillman

Re: Newsy article rejected

Post by SJHillman »

By not being dated, they mean the article will still be relevant a year from now. For example, an article about how Hurricane Sandy victims may be able to claim additional deductions on their taxes is dated because it will only be relevant for a short period of about a few months and then never again. CC prefers articles that could sell in the future. Last spring I had an article rejected for being dated because one sentence mentioned how the previous winter was very mild. I trimmed that sentence out so that the article still had value this coming spring, and the next spring too. It's not just about selling the article either - buyers want an article that will keep earning them revenue on their sites too and that means topics will long term or cyclic/seasonal relevance.

All that said, there is usually some leeway given on topic guidelines if it's in direct response to a specific request.
ScriptMaster

Post by ScriptMaster »

Thanks for your reply and I can see from the examples you gave why my article was considered dated. However, I am confident that the article, which was sports related, would be of interest to certain buyers. I referred to league positions, and these will almost certainly change, but the key focus of the article will remain topical for many years. Having a blanket ban on this type of article means CC is missing out on a large chunk of the article market.
Constant

Post by Constant »

If a client specifically requests that articles being on newsy topics, we do accomodate them and will accept articles that do cover newsworthy topics. In this case, we actually have an open request for sports articles, so I'd resubmit to that request and you should be good to go.