Confusing rejection reasons

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

OanaBoteanu

Confusing rejection reasons

Post by OanaBoteanu »

Hi everyone, I am new to ConstantContent and I need your help with a rejection query, please.

I submitted an article called A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Deliver Successful Presentations, and I received the following message from the editors:

"This is not exactly the type of content we are seeking. - Although the concept is okay, the clipart/instructions need changed/removed."

I am really confused to what I should have. There is no clipart (I only inserted a shape and put content in it - but I removed that now). However, there is a lot of instruction as it is a step-by-step guide and I offer tips and advice on how to deliver successful presentations.
Do they not accept instructive, how-to content?

Here's and example of instructions in my article:

Planning stage
The planning stage is the period in which you gather all the necessary information for the presentation, and your start putting it together. Follow the steps below:
1. Decide what information is important for your presentation.
2. Gather all relevant content, and organize the information so you can easily refer back to it.
3. Start creating the visual aids – in most cases a PowerPoint presentation.
4. Create notes along with the visual aids.
5. Review the finished content, and ensure that all the important information has been included.

They asked me to resubmit but I am unsure what to do, how to take instructions out of an instructive document.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Oana
Isabelnewth

Re: Confusing rejection reasons

Post by Isabelnewth »

I don't know, but I guess that the vague and ambiguous reason given does not mean that all the things suggested are wrong: its some sort of drop-down menu probably, allowing the ed to make only certain choices. From what you say, it sounds as though having the article within a frame could well be what the ed means in this case, so you have probably dealt with the problem already. Not to say that other issues will not then appear: as you probably know an article is returned on the first 'mistake' found, and it can happen that others are spotted after re-submission, so you need to double-check through before re-submission.That has happened to me quite a few times: hope it doesn't to you! Good luck!
OanaBoteanu

Post by OanaBoteanu »

Thank you so much for your advice.
I was thinking to edit the informative tone, but I find it extremely difficult due to the type of content. I'll just do another thorough revision and try to submit again, and hope for the best I guess.
Thanks again, great advice!
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

Hey there!

The Extended Writers' Guidelines mention: "If you wish to create a list of tips, steps, or items, each list item must be accompanied by an explanation. We cannot accept submissions that are simply lists." Maybe the editor would expect you to elaborate a bit on each step. Hope that helps! Good luck! :)
kassiesamp

Post by kassiesamp »

Hi

Another possibility - or maybe something just to keep in mind for future topics - is to write things by saying eg First, ... Next, ... /The next step is ...

so that it is not in list form. The template that Celeste Stewart has provided on an earlier occasion set material out like this.

I am new and also trying to set out material under bullet points as this is supposed to make information more accessible to readers.
But I am wondering whether that is the best way to go.