Open Office/Linux - Formatting and Fonts

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

BethJones

Open Office/Linux - Formatting and Fonts

Post by BethJones »

Hi all,

Found CC last week and very excited about getting some experience somewhere where the standard is so high and the community so friendly. I submitted three articles, two have been rejected and I'm guessing the third will be too, because of the formatting. I got this email:

"Please professionally format your articles in 12 pt. Times New Roman or Arial black font with single spaced paragraphs and a double space between paragraphs."

I use Open Office, so I had submitted in the 'Times New Roman equivalent font', Liberation Serif in 12pt. I didn't space my paragraphs correctly, somehow missed that instruction before. So my question is does anyone know if saving Liberation Serif as an .rtf file opens as TNR in word? And if not then do I need to somehow get hold of TNR? Or would that have been OK, but I just need to sort out the paragraphs?

Also, if the feedback is only about the formatting does that mean the content was probably good enough? Or does it not mean anything about that at all?

Cheers for any feedback,

Beth
ScriptMaster

Re: Open Office/Linux - Formatting and Fonts

Post by ScriptMaster »

I think it would be best for you to install TNR. This link shows how to do it in Ubuntu.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-ins ... ntu-linux/
Also, if the feedback is only about the formatting does that mean the content was probably good enough? Or does it not mean anything about that at all?
Articles are rejected immediately ANY error is detected - the rest of the article is not read, so it may contain other reasons for rejection.
SJHillman

Post by SJHillman »

I use LibreOffice (the fork of OpenOffice that became mainstream after Oracle's acquisition of Sun) on the Linux VM I usually write articles on. Unfortunately, equivalent fonts don't always work right when going between OO/LO and MS Word. I use Arial rather than TNR simply because it's more of a universally supported font.

Also, some editors are real sticklers while others are more lenient. My first three articles were all size 11 Calibri and were accepted before an editor caught the formatting and rejected my fourth article. Since then, I keep a Template.doc with size 12 Arial so I don't have to change the default settings for LO.
BethJones

Post by BethJones »

Thanks, both answers are very helpful - I did install TNR since posting because having checked again I don't think there was anything wrong with the paragraph spacing.

Quite worried now that having had two articles rejected for the font I've got fewer attempts to get everything else right and am more likely to be jettisoned altogether if there's any problems with the actual content. I suppose I just have to wait and see.