Comma Rejection

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

DavidPeta28

Comma Rejection

Post by DavidPeta28 »

Hi

Please could somebody assist me with this, as I don't want the article to be rejected twice.

The rejection note, comma related, is as follows:

"History has, perhaps unfairly, always laid the blame at Richard’s door[,] but it is just as likely that his nemesis and successor, Henry VII, had the princes killed in order to ensure he could reign freely, unencumbered by any pesky claimants to the throne." // "This also meant he could further besmirch the late Richard’s reputation, and therefore ennoble his own." No comma needed. //

* Is the editor saying the comma should be added in the first sentence (likely, considering that there is no comma in my original), and deleted in the second sentence?
* If so, why should there be a comma before ''but'', but none before ''and''?

Just looking to learn so I don't make the same mistakes.

Thanks
David
nichewriter

Re: Comma Rejection

Post by nichewriter »

* Is the editor saying the comma should be added in the first sentence (likely, considering that there is no comma in my original), and deleted in the second sentence?

Yes.

* If so, why should there be a comma before ''but'', but none before ''and''?

There's a comma before "but" because the second part of your sentence "it is just as unlikely that..." is an independent clause joined by a conjunction. The comma is not needed in the second sentence because "and therefore ennoble his own" is a dependent clause. (Chicago Manual of Style, 16th ed)

HTH,
Sherry
DavidPeta28

Post by DavidPeta28 »

Thanks Sherry, that's about as precise as it gets :D

Ps: what is hth?
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

HTH = hope this helps

And you're welcome! :)