Help Needed-Content stripped from uploaded file

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

WriterMike

Help Needed-Content stripped from uploaded file

Post by WriterMike »

This has happened twice now. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I have a client with a request for 5 articles, to which I've been able to successfully submit a single article. I submitted an article last night, entitled, "The Opera Browser: Faster, and More Portable and Secure Than Explorer". I received a rejection notice, and was told it was rejected because the file I uploaded was blank. And my submission was erased from the system. I went through the submission again today, with the same result.

This has me very worried. This request is for 4 more articles and has the possibility of staying open long term.

How can I submit my articles when the system keeps stripping the content from my uploaded files? Please hurry with an answer. My client needs content badly.
jellygator

Re: Help Needed-Content stripped from uploaded file

Post by jellygator »

Have you tried to save the article in a different format and resubmitting? If you've submitted a .doc file, try .rtf, and vice versa.
WriterMike

Post by WriterMike »

No, I haven't tried any other formats. I'll give .rtf a try. It's a software tutorial and has screenshots, so a straight text file isn't going to look any good. The client will have to do too much reformatting to make it presentable for his website.

I'd still like to know why the content is being stripped from the file. This isn't my first article, nor is it my first article with images in it.

Something that just occurred to me; I wonder if it's the image size. My other articles with screenshots had much smaller images. I'll try that first.
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

It may be the fact that it contains images at all. I've been under the impression that this is not an option.
WriterMike

Post by WriterMike »

Customer requested screenshots. Last article I sent in was accepted with screenshots.

I re-submitted it this morning and it was accepted immediately. With screenshots. But I cut their size in half, from 1366X768 to 640x360.
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

WriterMike wrote:Customer requested screenshots. Last article I sent in was accepted with screenshots.

I re-submitted it this morning and it was accepted immediately. With screenshots. But I cut their size in half, from 1366X768 to 640x360.
That's good to know. Thanks for this information!
WriterMike

Post by WriterMike »

My pleasure. I've submitted and had accepted 3 more articles. Here's what I've determined:
It seems that any inline images over 1024X768 will cause the submission to fail. My client wanted larger images so readers would see clearly what was being illustrated, so I used the largest size I could, well over 1200; 1366 to be exact. I've been using mostly 640 for my width, but I'm guessing that 1024 would be the max and that CC has some sort of maximum allowable number of pixels per image.
SJHillman

Post by SJHillman »

If using Word format, it may be caused by a difference in versions of Word. Even between 2007 and 2010, some types of formatting, image formatting, image sizes, fonts, etc cause it to go a little haywire and pretend the entire document is blank or corrupted. I've seen it happen at work a few times, although it's usually limited to going from an older version of Word to a newer version (regardless of whether you use .doc or .docx).
WriterMike

Post by WriterMike »

I'm guessing that since with the first article I sent in I resized the images I used down to 550X360, and kept the ones in the second at over 1366, the resolution was the issue. And that the issue was with CC's servers. Because I was able to send the file to people with the full size images with no problem. It was just while submitting it with the full size images where I had the problem.