Hyphens

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

SmithW

Hyphens

Post by SmithW »

Hello,

I received a rejection notice regarding proper use of hyphens and a link to the following article:

"A [well crafted] heading" -- http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/gr ... phens.aspx

In my article I had written "well-crafted heading". After reviewing the Grammar Girl article I am still not certain why my article failed to pass the test, as "well-crafted" acts as the compound modifier before the noun "heading". I would like to make the appropriate edit to this article and resubmit it, but per the Grammar Girl article this is the correct usage of the hyphen. Any insight into this would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Smith
mnicol22

Re: Hyphens

Post by mnicol22 »

Hello!

I've had a few issues with hyphens myself, with articles coming back rejected due to a missing hyphen. It's annoying because I didn't think it was that important a mistake but, if you want to play by the book, the link they gave you has a valid point. If you notice a comment by a Doug right under the main article, it explains that "well' is actually an adverb, so it is not subject to the rules that apply for compound nouns. More specifically:

"Similarly, "well" is an adverb in the expression "well founded." Thus, "a well founded belief" seemingly violates the tendency of compound adjective before noun is hyphenated; but because "well" is an adverb, it does not. He had a well founded belief in the primacy of grammar over substance. His belief in the primacy of grammar over substance was well founded."

On that basis, the editor was right. Still, it's a tricky subject.
SmithW

Post by SmithW »

I read Doug's comment. He seems like a well grounded fellow. :)

Thanks for you insight into this; it clears up my question. I'll be happy to make the edit and resubmit.

Smith
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

Happy to be of help!

It is a good idea to scan through the comments an article gets. They often prove as helpful as the article itself. Good luck with your resubmission! :)