Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

CEMA27

Confusing Formatting Rejection

Post by CEMA27 »

I have had all of my previous articles accepted with the following format:

Title

Introductory paragraph.

Heading
Paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph.

Heading
Paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph.

Every time, I use Time New Roman font in 12 pt., I keep it single-spaced within paragraphs and I leave an extra space between paragraphs.

However, I just received a rejection for this reason: "Please be sure that the headings are fully justified on the right side before beginning the paragraph below it indented." This comment makes no sense to me for two reasons:
1) Based on what I can find, the formatting section in the writer guidelines makes no mention of headings being on the right and paragraphs being indented.
2) "Justified" means spreading the text across the page, whereas "alignment" means pushing text over to the left or to the right. I believe there is no such thing as "fully justifying on the right side."

How would you interpret and respond to this edit request?
jellygator

Re: Confusing Formatting Rejection

Post by jellygator »

I'm not sure how I would interpret them, but this is how I submit my articles with subheadings:

................................ TITLE (Centered)............................................
..................................My Name (Also Centered)........................................

Introductory paragraph without a subheading

Subtitle Heading Aligned Left, Bolded, Title Capitalization

Paragraph sentence paragraph sentence paragraph sentence and so on, with line breaks between paragraphs as needed.

Subtitle Heading Aligned Left, Bolded, Title Capitalization

Paragraphs for the new topic, etc.

(Obviously I don't use periods to indicate spaces in submitted articles. I just don't know how to create spaces in html.)
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

Jellygator, you can create spaces in html by using either the Line Break tag which is <BR>, but this will only start your text on the next line, leaving no blank space in between. To indicate paragraphs, you can use <P> which does exactly that, leaving one blank line in between. Hope that helps! ;)
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

mnicol22 wrote:Jellygator, you can create spaces in html by using either the Line Break tag which is <BR>, but this will only start your text on the next line, leaving no blank space in between. To indicate paragraphs, you can use <P> which does exactly that, leaving one blank line in between. Hope that helps! ;)
Thanks, Mnicol! How do you do spaces so as to create centered text, do you know?
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

It used to be done simply by using the <center> tag, but it's starting to become obsolete with newer browsers. Instead, you can use <div align=center> right before the text you want to align. Any text you type in, even if you change paragraphs, will continue to appear centered until you use the closing tag, which is </div>

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/
This site has practically all the tags you will ever need in HTML or CSS. It has helped me a lot too because I've always found it impossible to remember all the tags! ;)
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

Thanks so much!