Article Published Elsewhere

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

bev

Article Published Elsewhere

Post by bev »

I just received a rejection on an article. CC's comment - "you may ask usage rights only for articles published elsewhere." The article I published on another website has the same title, but I re-wrote the majority of the article content before submitting to CC. I'm sure some of the words/phrasing are similar or the same between the two articles, but I basically re-wrote the entire article. Is there a certain percentage of words/phrases that can't be the same? Any light that anyone can shed would be appreciated. Thanks.
jellygator

Re: Article Published Elsewhere

Post by jellygator »

I don't know about percentages, but it's possible to plagiarize yourself, and it sounds like you may have done that if you didn't change the title and cite your previous work in the article you turned in. You said you changed a substantial portion of it, but the title and some phrasing were the same, and I assume the subject was, too.
bev

Re: Article Published Elsewhere

Post by bev »

On 3 other articles I submitted to CC, I did the exact same thing (used the same titles as my articles on another website, but re-wrote most of the content) and they were all accepted. So I was confused when this one got rejected since there seemed to be a lack of consistency. I'm still not crystal clear on this, but what I've learned is to change title and re-write entire article since iThenticate rejects articles based on percentage of text match (don't know what that percentage is though) and CC is looking for 100% original work. Thank you for your input on the whole issue, jellygator.